After four weeks of being careful it's time for some feedback and re-goaling. Btw, I know the title says dieting but it really was more a matter of careful eating a la French Women Don't Get Fat - which I firmly believe is the only way to go.
As this is already the beginning of week five, I feel confident enough to share some numbers, i.e. this isn't just a one week wonder and I fully intend never to reach these figures again (in both senses of the word).
On Sunday 19th June I weighed 82kg. This is my personal high-weight without being pregnant. I work in kg as 82 sounds better than 12 stone 13 and you can see the numbers drop in 100g increments (about 1/4 lb). Two weeks later I had dropped 2.6 kg but it was too much and I had to give back 600g the next week. This week I only lost 400g. Disappointing in a way as it is still 200g higher than two weeks ago, but nevertheless, still 1lb down. So I am now 79.6kg (12 stone 7 1/2).
My goal for next week is to see a 78 on the scales. It will mean a bigger effort this week but 700g (1 1/2lbs) is not unreasonable. And tbh I have only been a little bit careful over the past couple of weeeks, not very careful.
So here are my top tips for getting the motivation to actually do it. None of your drink loads of water and weigh yourself once a week as that's all old hat, although it may be effective. My tips are ones I discovered worked for me and were sometimes surprising.
1. I went out and bought clothes. I never buy clothes when I'm fat because a.) it's demoralizing and b.) I resent paying for new gear when I've got a whole wardrobe full of stuff that's too small. However, I was feeling wretched and desperate and that can only lead to one thing - comfort eating. So I bought five large tee-shirts, a skirt and a swimming costume. Not a lot. I already had a couple of pairs of trousers that I was alternating, and a couple of tops. After my modest spree I had enough fresh combinations to wear daily and feel good in. I felt good enough to spur the motivation I needed to look and feel even better.
2. I went swimming. I had to as we were invited to stay with my cousin in Netanya and they have a pool in their building. I've avoided pools for years but I couldn't deny DD the experience (she loved it!) so I bought a cozzy with fitted bits and panelled pieces, and I discovered that a.) no one cares what you look like when you are romping with the kids in the pool and b.) there were far flabbier bodies than mine on show. So I'm already at a weight where it's not desperate and I can take DD swimming when required - half way there really, shame not to continue...
3. I give myself an extra day when necessary. I started on a Sunday and MUMenTUM reports in on a Monday. I give myself that extra day to gain (read lose) a few more grams before having to record the week's progress. It's not a competition where I get to win the car, the year's supply of yogurt and the round the world trip by cheating the other contestents with 8-day weeks. Who cares if my week was actually 8-days?
4. The laptop is my ally. Even if I am watching television (and assuming there is no sewing to do) I have the laptop on my lap and blog about, social network or just play card games. You can't eat if you're with laptop!
5. I only have two meals a day. After coffee in the morning and taking DD to nursery (where she has breakfast) I return home to work. I try to have brunch instead of breakfast and lunch. Then I have an early supper (5.30-6pm) with DD in the evening. It works for me as I've no other adults to fit in with. We always finish supper with some fruit (French women again) and then I clear away everything and clean the kitchen sink (just like the Fly Lady advises). Vey little chance of going back to dirty up my kitchen after that.
6. I drink ice-cold soda water as it feels a bit more special than plain water and you can sip it slowly. It feels very virtuous as well.
This post is linked to MUMenTUM at New Mum Online where several other women are hurtling towards the pool season in supportive unison. Check it out. Thanks Liska!