Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Day Zero Project

One of my new games online is the hilarious but intriguing, and ultimately irresistable, Day Zero Project. In a nutshell, you create a list of 101 things to do in 1001 days. You don't have to write the list all in one sitting. You can add to it as you think of things. And there are pages of suggestions, popular entries, and directories of other people's lists, to help you. I've started off with 26 items. Except that I haven't actually started as you can set your starting date any time you like. I may start tomorrow, or September 1st. As you tick off (or click off) your achievements, there are lots of very satisfying statistics and graphics to keep you interested. And it's free, although there is an option to make a donation.

The beauty of it is that you have 1001 days to complete all your resolutions. This is approximately 2.75 years so you don't have to do the 'don't eat junk food for a month' at the same time as you are doing the 'visit NYC' - which would be virtually impossible. You also have almost three years to plan and save up for visiting NYC, or any other place of your choice.

Of course, if you are planning to write a novel (just about the most popular thing to do) or learn a language (also vey popular) you should begin quite soon. I myself am planning to write two books, learn three languages and two musical instruments :~P. This is one of the pitfalls of such a lengthy timespan. It's difficult to stop yourself trying to fit your whole life into 1001 days. Especially as you have 101 slots to fill.

You can, and should, include the little things: see all the Harry Potter films (or read all the books), sleep under the stars, host a candlelit dinner, etc... Otherwise you will have to learn 50 languages, 20 musical instruments, and write 31 novels. There's no danger of wasting a slot with so many to fill, so you can include anything and everything. I absolutely love the one that says: save $10 for every task completed. I'm already dreaming of what to spend my $1,010 on in June 2014.

You can read my list by clicking on the page tab at the top of this blog.


Disclaimer: Although this post is a review, no one asked me to write it and no remuneration is coming my way, unfortunately.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for your thoughts on BritMums! We're really glad that you've changed your mind about it and have found that it's a great place to be. Day Zero Project is a fab group...keep us posted on your progress. And thanks for being a part of BritMums!

    :) Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karin. Maybe one of my items should be to wait before expressing any rash opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britmums, when it was British Mummy Bloggers was my way in to blogging and where I made all my first blogging friends.
    Glad you like it and love the sound of that project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks AR, why don't you join in. I've just set my starting date for August 28th - on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have joined britmums but have not done anything more. Thanks for this post, I will now go back and look into it more. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melksham Mum - if you like the sound of it why not join us. It could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey lady, glad to hear that you're finding the new BritMums site a good place to be. I hadn't seen the Day Zero Project. It sounds like so much fun.

    I've read that the people who write down their goals are something like one gazillion times more likely to fulfill them (I may be wrong on that exact number). I'll have to check it out!

    See you on BritMums!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think gazillion sounds about right Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete