Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Auditing My Soul

I promised Liska at New Mum Online I'd join the MUMenTUM blog hop this week. Of course I'm not doing it just for Liska - although why not? She's a nice person. Seriously though, those of you who read me know that I'm up for big changes this year. Here are the reasons:



1. I turn 50 in September and feel the need to be somewhat more sorted than I feel at the moment.

2. Impending trip to London to see family and visit The Harlequin Centre in Watford for the first time in over a year. All those relatives and clothes shops would be unbearable at my present [over]weight.

3. Happy, healthy, blah, blah, blah...

We have a saying in Hebrew: cheshbon nefesh. It's what you do at major milestones or crossroads in your life. It means taking account of your soul. In other words introspection. Weighing up what you have achieved, where you are, where you would like to be, are you happy, what changes need to be made, etc... Approaching fifty is a major time for cheshbon nefesh. And I'm into it big time. (Even though I am only able to make small changes at the moment as explained on my LifeCircle introduction earlier this week.)

JazzyGal and Looking For Blue Sky, both in Dublin, have started The #50Club (notice the snazzy badge) for all us 1962 babies. (Feel free to join if you fit the description.) I'm already feeling better about the big five-oh knowing that I'm in such good company. And I think a lot of insightful writing will come out of it that just might tip the balance from shell-shocked (how can this have happened so soon?) to OK (new decade new opportunities/experiences/confidence/whatever).

So first step is to conquer the mum-tum, again, along with all the other flabby bits. New Year's Eve found me making the annual pledge and this week I lost 1.5kg (just over 3lbs). Don't cheer yet, it's a mere drop in the ocean. However, every drop counts and I've run out of ways to continue with this metaphor. More importantly, will I be able to post my very first blog hop linky? Watch this space...

13 comments:

  1. Well, good luck! I long for my 50s. Am hoping that's when my Second Flowering will happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. M-a-M, LOL, is there a badge for #secondflowering? I seem to have joined everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh that old chestnut is on my list this year too, but yet to knuckle down. We still have Christmas cake left and until it's gone it's always tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you've made a great start to this year :) I'm delighted that there are 3 of us 'in the club' so far, it's great to face 50 with friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on losing 3 pounds and thanks for joining in :-)

    Hey you are coming to London...... You have to organise a night when all of us UK friends of yours can meet you (time permitting in your diary of course).

    Would LOVE to meet you. You are probably the most frequent commenter on my blog and I would love to hug you for it.

    That 50 club sounds super. I am a 1973 girl.

    Bye for now, Liska xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lins - Quick finishe the cake and get started! I agree though that it's futiel to start before the cake has left the building.

    Blue Sky - you know what they say: Three's a crowd. Nice crowd!

    Liska - LOL, you're a mere baby. I;ll have to think about a meet-up in London though. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay!! Welcome to the #50club ! Us three will have a great time!! It truly is a time to take stock isn't it? As I say the only way to face it and get through it is to celebrate. That's my excuse anyway!

    Congrats on the 3lbs. Celebrate every lb lost. Just another 4lbs and it's half a stone, it all adds up ;-)

    xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankd Jazzy - and thank you for starting the #50club. LOL at another 4lbs makes half a stone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab start Rachel. When you come over if you have a spare hour and want a coffee in Watford I would so love to meet you, but not pressure I understand you are there for family.

    I can not for one minute believe you 3 will all be 50 this year, each one of you looks like a spring chicken!

    Journeying with you lovely lady.

    Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your lovely comment Michelle - let's try and meet up when I'm in London.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Auditing your soul - I like this idea, it has a ring to it. Good luck with your goals and hopefully having something to aim for (like your trip over here) will spur you on. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Claire - one of the comments points out that in English we call it taking stock. I knew their had to be an English equivalent but i caouldn't thin of it at the time. Now I'm glad as the title i used is more intriguing.

    ReplyDelete