Monday, January 30, 2012

Every Silver Lining Comes At A Price

This past week has been the worst one yet this winter. I've been laid up with a bad chesty cough, sinusitus headache and blocked nose (think industrial glue), and possibly a low grade fever - the cold pastey type. I'm very tempted to call it flu but I had flu once in which I basically died for a week and took three months to completely recover. No, this was not that (TG), this was the worst cold this side of being flu.

Every day since last Wednesday I have taken DD to nursery, come straight home and slept until pick-up time. Of course not every day as we had Friday/Saturday in between. On Friday we got home from nursery at 1pm and I just let her play until about 11pm. This was a good move because she then slept until 10am on Saturday morning - considerably shortening the day.

I lay on the sofa and helped with puzzles as they were brought to me. For some reason the puzzles never made it back into the boxes afterwards, let alone back into the cupboard. But one day soon I will go through the carpet of puzzle pieces in the living-room, sort them and put them away.

More serious was the fact that I had to cancel some lessons and didn't do many many hours of work on the computer - none of which I will get paid for. I also mentioned last week (somewhere) that I had two exams to prepare for tomorrow. If I'd not got my act together by this morning (which thankfully I have to a small extent) I was seriously worried about my job.

However, every cloud etc. etc. Yup, down 1.8kg in a week (almost 4lbs). That makes my four week loss a very acceptable 4.2kg (9 1/4lbs). In a way I'd like to wait until Wednesday and see if I can report 10lbs lost in January. But it's never a good idea to get too neat with these things - a neatness like this in dieting is rarely repeated and the cost was too high. I don't think the lemontea with honey diet, supplimented by two slices of toast and butter in the evening, the occasional yogurt and a slice off your daughter's apple, will sell any books. I hope I will not be repeating it any time soon.

Read the other MUMenTUM entries from Liska at New Mum Online. And please feel free to join the blog hop yourself - if you've something to say about struggling with that Mum Tum. I've also linked to Tea And Sympathy over at All About The Girls - because I deserve some.

16 comments:

  1. You might not have actually had flu the time you thought you did and you felt ill for months after - this happened to me once, and about a year later I had a blood test, and when it came back, the Dr asked me when I had had mono - I wasn't aware that I had had it in the last year - so my guess is that it was the time I had the flu that would not go away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling fully recovered soon. A trick I used with jigsaw puzzles is to number the backs, so all one puzzle had a large '1' on the back of each piece, another puzzle '2' etc, means you can sort similar puzzles with ease and also when DD is learning numbers she will help sort. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you aren't feeling better, it could be sinusitis, which needs antibiotics often to clear. You can try an decongestant, a mucus thinner (mucolit), and saline nose spray for a day or two to see if they clear your sinuses. If not, antibiotics highly recommended.
    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janice - you could have a point. Who knows if I had flu or mono the last time.

    Gillian - I was ready to admit defeat and go to the doctor on Friday morning but they're not open on Friday. By Sunday i was feeling better. Now (Monday afternoon) I'm not so sure. Thanks for the advice.

    MumB - thanks for the tip, that's a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you feel much better soon. Good Luck with the weight loss journey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are on the mend now. That is an impressive result this month regardless of how you got there! Hopefully it will be less painful next month. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Claire, yes I think less painful would be the two words I would choose for next month's theme :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, not thebst start to the year. Is so awful being I'll when you're a parent and you still have everything to do. My jigsaws are like that and I haven't even been ill. I need to move them to a higher shelf so the twins can't get to them, until they start climbing that is.

    Anyway thanks for linking up and hope you feel better soon.

    Good luck with the health kick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first reply to a comment using the new reply setting in Blogger. Still feeling rubbish but I do like this comment fascility.

      Thanks for commenting HCTGirls - yes, it wasn't a picnic.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a pretty miserable week and well done for sticking to the diet and not going for tea, cakes and sympathy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blue Sky - it wasn't hard, I could hardly move. Not a recommended diet. :)

      Delete
  10. It's awful when you feel so ill and the little ones just want to play, I hope the she was kind to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks @littleboo - I can't even remember now but she didn't have much choice. As an only child, she's [retty good a t amusing herself.

      Delete
  11. Oh gosh I am so so so sorry to hear you have been so sick. I never knew what sick REALLY was until I tried to do IT AND look after a baby - I have been sick a few times since Aaron's birth (including flu) and it is not at all easy - I don't blame you keeping her up till 11 (and getting reward of a lie in) and definitely understand the sitting room floor (you should see mine right now).
    I hope you are on the mend.
    I should way myself as I had Delhi belly for 2 days and 2 nights this week - NOT NICE and I am sure it must've effected my weight.
    Liska xxx
    P.S. Your January weight loss is looking very very respectable and awesome. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liska - a belated reply as it's already the middle of Feb. I've kept it off but not managed to lose any more. Need to up the anti methinks.

      Delete