Tuesday, October 23, 2012

#DIYdetox Week 2


With 12 weeks exactly until January 1st 2013 (on Tuesday 9th Oct.), I took up Exmoor Jane's #DIYdetox challenge. No it's not juice fasts, coffee enemas and cayenne peppered grapefruit. According to Jane, it's not how much you eat but what you eat that counts. Or rather what you don't eat.





This week was better and not so good as last week. I lost another 900g (2lbs) and mostly kept to the plan but there were a few hiccoughs.

What happened:

1. I lapsed about 4 times with the dairy. I had some things - kugels and pancakes mostly - in the freezer that had been made with quark. I took them out for DD who decided she didn't like them anymore. I couldn't throw away good food so I had to eat them. It wasn't loads but I did eat some quark. There are some left but I'll eat them at respectable intervals.

2. On the other hand, even when I said, "oh sod it, I'll eat the quarky pancakes," I didn't eat any meat or sugar. And even though I'd lapsed in the dairy department I didn't follow that with other cheese which we have in the fridge (DD loves her cheese).

3. I ran out of bread a few days ago and didn't buy any more for me. I mean wholewheat bread. For DD I've given up and she has a white roll for her school snack - the wholewheat rolls were coming back untouched and she eats the white ones. (DD - 1: Mummy - 0).

4. I cut right down on the coffee (1/2 tspn/day) and was half way through washing up the cup yesterday when I remembered that that was my last coffee. I'm strangely satisfied with my green tea - who knew that would happen?

5. That plan not to eat after 6pm went out the window. I'll try again this week.


I wish
How do I feel?

Good. Not walking on air yet but not bloated like last week. Maybe it's because I've cut down on the bread. I'm not promising not to  buy more but for now I'm OK with my crackers - until they run out. Then I'll have to make a decision.

I am amazed that I cannot bring myself to touch anything with sugar in it even when I'm looking for anything to eat and there is ice-cream in the freezer. I'm still eating too much but nothing illegal. If only I could pinpoint the motivation that is making this project too important for me to cheat.

Goals for the coming week:

1. No coffee. I don't think I'll be giving up the green tea until I can think of a satisfactory  alternative.

2. No bread this week. (I will be eating crackers and pasta though).

3. Trying not to eat after 6pm again. (We eat supper between 5pm and 6pm).

4. Make a meal plan for the week as winging it leads to eating more.

Pictures from Google Images.


17 comments:

  1. Yay! You're sticking to it because you have made that jump...and your body is loving it. And you're making it more of a healthy eating plan than a diet. Experiment with gluten-free bread and pasta - cos I still think you might have an issue there. Maybe not, but would be great to eliminate it from the equation.
    Green tea is an interesting one - high in antioxidants but also in chemicals (if not organic). Have you tried any herbal teas? Or coffee substitutes?
    But...you are, quite simply, a STAR! And two pounds, once again, the perfect weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm struggling but I'll give it a bit longer.

      Delete
  2. You're doing really well - doing something like this is harder when children aren't around - Now I feel a little bad for the cupcake I had today - I really need to cut down on sugar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's harder when children are around as you have to cook for them and therefore have some sweet stuff and milky things in the house.

      Delete
  3. You sound like you're doing really well, quarky pancakes aside :D Yes, it's definitely harder when you have children in the house! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so struggling with keeping out of the kitchen after supper.

      Delete
  4. Wow! That is amazing! Good for you. It is harder with a child around because you still have to have some tempting foods around. What is quark? Look for the Osem Lachmit Gluten Free crackers. They are really tasty! Most regular supermarkets have them. They come in a a big box and have individually wrapped packets inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quark is white cheese. It took me years to realise, meanwhile skipping recipes with quark because I didn't think we had it here. LOL, it's the most popular cheese in the supermarket. I'm thinking of just buying Rye crackers next time.

      Delete
    2. That's funny that it's just white cheese! Please don't be afraid of these crackers, they are really yummy!

      Delete
  5. I thinks it's great that you are taking this challenge AND blogging about it! Kudos! What an inspiration for others! (What REALLY helped me was no enriched flour. Seriously! I wish, now, that I blogged about the changes I made in my diet a year ago! At any rate, the biggest difference was not having any enriched flour, wheat included! And it really cut down on cravings!) OK, enough said! Keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that there's no getting away from this wheat thing...

      Delete
  6. I am so impressed and fascinated by your progress, and if you do manage to pinpoint where your motivation is coming from please share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking about this seriously and trying to develop a theory. I'll definitely share.

      Delete
  7. Wow, well done you! This seems quite a challenging and prolonged challenge....good for you. Best of luck.

    I'm doing something else that's working for me. At least it was until this week! I may share, in time :-)

    xx JAzzy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm intrigued. Looking forward to good results. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Too much caffeine and sugar being bad for you isn't bollocks. The farming cows thing is well known and documented - that's not really a health thing for me more a moral dilemma. So all that may be bollocks for me is cutting down on wheat - but I'm not cutting it out altogether. Anyway 4lbs is a good and it's an interesting experiment.

      Delete