Tuesday, October 30, 2012

#DIYdetox Week 3

This was not a good #diydetox week. I managed to lose 1lb but I lapsed - a lot.

What happened...
1. I found out that the crackers I had been eating contain sugar. What a con! I finished them off rather than wasting them (with butter that also needed finishing.) Interestingly, I only found out about the sugar as after a week of cutting it out (so I thought), the crackers suddenly tasted sweet which prompted me to look at the label.

2. I then thought to look at the mayonnaise label and found that contained sugar as well. So that's out this week along with the ketchup. DD doesn't like mayo or ketchup and I'm finding the ketchup to be cloyingly sweet these days for a savoury condiment.

3. I made pizza for DD with (sugar laden) ketchup and cheese, and she decided she didn't like it. Of course I had to eat it - I can't afford to throw away a whole meal. I also finished up the cheese burekas and her erstwhile beloved cheesy pancakes both of which she's now gone off. What's happened to my fantastic eater? I drank a jar of borsht which had sugar in it - someone gave it to me and beetroot is very healthy. And I ate some chicken on Friday night.

6. I didn't not eat after 6pm as I've vowed to do for two weeks now. And I didn't stick to a menu plan. I'm giving up on these for now as they're not working for me.

8. I also planned to cut out bread this week. I stopped buying my wholewheat bread and replaced toast for breakfast with porridge (made with water and a teaspoon of honey). However, I bought challah for shabbat and ate all of it (one big loaf) and have raided DD's lunchbox rolls. Not to mention that the pizza base was a pitta and the burekas are made with pastry. *sighs*

I wish
The good news:
On the other hand - I haven't drunk any coffee, eaten any other sugar besides that hidden in the foods already mentioned, or gone back to milk and yogurts. AND - yes this is a big one - I don't feel stiff anymore when I get up after sitting for too long. I hated this, it made me feel like an old lady and now it's gone. I don't know if it's cutting right down on caffeine, sugar, dairy and meat or increasing foods with healthy oils like fish, avocado and olive oil dressing. Or just coincidence. Who knows but I like it and it's given me the motivation to continue and be more serious about it.

Challenges for this week:
1. No bread (along with no meat, dairy, sugar or caffeine). Eating rye crackers and using rye flour limits my wheat intake to pasta (and noodles, ptitim) and maybe some soup nuts.

2. Chuck the mayo and ketchup. (DD doesn't like either of them anyway.)

3. Drink more water, eat porridge for breakfast and drink soup with supper

4. Stop trying to be creative with the cooking. Basically all DD wants now is pasta, cheese, fish (tuna, sardines, white fish), salad (toms, cucs, avocado, olives), fruit and chips. So that's what she's getting - every night. (FYI - DD has a meat meal for lunch at kindergarten every day.)

20 comments:

  1. good luck, hysterical to read, i like the way you write!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel - you are a trooper! I'm not sure I could do this. I'm glad you are seeing some positive effects, like less stiffness. I'm sure that's a motivating factor. Good luck with your goals this week.I love reading your updates .
    GIllyxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gilly. What can I tell you? It's an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing really, really well - I love your self honesty and balance - this is not an easy thing to do with a little girl with a different diet, and I'm with you on not wasting food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly an interesting experiment. And yes, wasting the food would be worse than cheating.

      Delete
  5. Interesting reading about you cutting out the sugar... My Mum has had to completely cut out salt, and now if she does happen to eat anything with salt in it, she can't bear it... Doesn't take long to adapt does it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that as I've noticed how much salt I've been using recently. Probably because I've been making food from scratch rather than using ready made stuff where you can be oblivious to the amount of salt. I'm porpbably eating no more than I did before but I'm very much more aware of it.

      Delete
  6. diet overhaul, well done so far. There's "hidden" sugar in a lot of everyday foods, there are so many herbs & spices that you won't miss the ketchup (or make your own sugar free one), good that its making a difference to you. I've never been on a weight loss diet but lost 7lbs when I cut the sugar!
    Make your own crackers too, I make mine, gluten-free, dairy-free but not nut-free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're ok with nuts. Maybe you could blog about the crackers with pictures one day? I'd be very interested to read. I tried making crackers once but it didn't really work.

      Delete
  7. I love reading abut this, but can't see me ever doing it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see me ever doing again tbh, but there's still a way to go so I'm suspending judgement.

      Delete
  8. Hey, you're doing so well. Above all, and what is most important, is that you're starting to listen to your body...you're tasting food, considering it, rather than just ramming it in and ignoring the effects. And the lack of stiffness is amazing! That has to be an incentive, right? Your daughter's diet sounds okay - as long as she's getting all the nutrients she needs, it's fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jane. I don't know why I forgot to tag you this week. You'll be back in next week for sure - my guru. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a very tough plan! I don't know how you've stuck 2 weeks! Well done you. I hope you keep up your challenge, it feels good when we achieve something. I went on a yeast free diet once but could only last 4 weeks. Have you noticed any improvements in your skin? Not that there's anything wrong with your skin but these plans usually brighten things up!!

    xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have good skin but I always have. Apart from the no stiffness and some weight loss, I can't see any other difference. In fact I'm feeling quite tired which may be due to reduced caffeine.

      Delete
  11. Re dd's diet: I always felt that at around her age they get corrupted by other kids about what is a good diet and there goes all the wonderful experimentation. As long as you don't get anxious, it will resurface and she will eat all sorts of things again--one day. For now, she may just want cheesy pasta at every meal. this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for that Pseudol, I hope you're right. I'll keep bringing out the other stuff from time to time.

    ReplyDelete