Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thoughts On Thursday: Award And Things Resolved

Gemma (Helloitsgemma) is perhaps the first bloggy friend I ever made and has been a constant source of entertainment, information and support ever since. Her son Noo, being a year older than DD, gives me insight into what's just around the corner for us and you can be sure I've taken notes. I've also not been shy about commenting on Gemma's posts. As a result of this she has honoured me with The RAA (Reader Appreciation Award). I don't know when the RAAs are being officially handed out, where, or what I'll wear on the red carpet but meanwhile I'm thrilled of course and want to thank my family etc...

Part of the deal is to answer some set questions about myself and tag some readers who I really appreciate. So I'll answer some questions and tag my loyal fans  friends. I did mention to Gemma that I may make up my own questions because, quite frankly, I'm not going to write about my first snog, my dream car is a car, any car as opposed to Shank's pony who I use atm, and I've already written about being naked in public. So my questions are all topical to previous posts this week and are as follows:

What happened to the alleged robbers I helped to catch?

Nothing. They are all back working on the building site and both get-away cars featured in the robberies are parked in the road. Obviously it wasn't a robbery at all but rather part of their pay package or another similar arrangement.

What happened about the name calling?

I spoke to the teacher about Sam-u-el and asked her to watch and see if there were any shenanigans going on (I didn't mention the silly sausages). She was surprised as X and Y are particularly friendly with DD. Anyway, at the end of the day she told me that it was actually X, Y and Z. She told them that it wasn't a nice thing to do and they agreed that they wouldn't do it again. She also spoke to all the children about name calling. DD came home all smiles and announced that she's not Sam-u-el anymore but a bottle is now called Sam-u-el instead. An obvious substitute.

What happened to DIYdetox Week 4 that was supposed to appear on Tuesday?

Well, I didn't lose any more weight last week. I don't mind about that as it still means that I lost 5 lbs in the first 4 weeks. Apart from that most of the detox bit has fallen apart. I'm still not eating meat or sugar. I'm afraid dairy and coffee have crept back in. I'm also still eating bread which I never really managed to give up. Here are the issues:

Coffee makes me eat less. When I sit down to an evening on the computer after DD is asleep I am satisfied by a cup of coffee with milk in a way that a herb or green tea just doesn't do it for me. I can enjoy the coffee and not eat anything else whereas the teas leave me foraging for snacks.

Bread is essential to me. I'm not always at home to make that big salad or heat up the soup for lunch. On the run it's just easier to take a bread roll filled with some of that salad stuff. It's also cheaper and more satisfying.

Dairy. I have a huge problem with dairy. I love cheese (though I could probably find a milk substitute for the coffee). My problem is that the environmental and humanitarian reasons I cited for not eating beef also apply to dairy. By the same token, it's ridiculous not to eat chicken if I'm eating eggs. I don't know what to do about this - it's a huge issue for me and I need to think about it in more depth.

Here are DIYdetox weeks one, two and three if you need to catch up. Basically, it's ExmoorJane's fault. Meanwhile, I have a new secret weapon which I'll blog about next Tuesday.

Who are you passing on the RAA to?

Many of my most loyal readers don't blog. And Anna (Adventures of a Middle-Aged Matron) already has this award on her mantelpiece. However, Gilly (Brainstorm), Jazzy (Jazzygal), Mich (Mummy from the Heart), Emma (A Bavarian Sojourn), Candi (Looking for Blue Sky), Liska (New Mum Online), OM (Older Mum in a Muddle), and Anya (Older Single Mum) all have my undying gratitude for making me feel like I'm not just talking to myself. Thank you from the bottom of my blogger. No pressure to actually accept the award but should you choose to do so the original questions (about nudity and snogging etc...) can be found at Gemma's. Or make up your own questions. Or just say thank you and leave it at that.

All pictures from Google Images

20 comments:

  1. Hang about! You're 'still not eating meat or sugar'...that's a great thing. And a detox is just that...a detox. It isn't meant to be a forever regime...just a chance to let your system regroup a bit.
    It's a shame about the bread as I have a sneaking suspicion that's the cause for your stubborn weight but I hear you - I love bread too and it hurts to cut it out of my diet as it's the ultimate comfort food. Caffeine really does stress the adrenals so do try to keep your intake down...
    Yay to the award by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only stomach a coffee with half a teaspoon of instant so I'm drinking much less in the cup and fewer cups (3 today). I don't want to get back to that dependent situation so I'm trying to make each cup a treat.
      I need to google exactly what the adrennals do as I have no idea. Maybe I can scare myself into being more diligent on this.
      You're probably right about the bread. I'm not finished fine-tuning yet.
      Thanks for all the encouragement. xx

      Delete
  2. You monkey! I was longing to tag you on that award but you told me you never have any truck with that kind of thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't and I wasn't going to do it. However, Gemma didn't ask me and as it was there, and as I basically wrote the post I was going to right anyway... But don't worry, if there's a meme I fancy I'll be sure and tell you.

      Delete
  3. There are free range eggs where the chickens are free to wander and are treated humanely. I know that they are much more expensive, but the chickens are supposed to be treated well and they are not dieing so you can eat them.
    Congratulations on your 5 pound weight loss! Not an easy thing.
    I'm glad the name calling thing was ok in the end and that DD is friends with X and Y.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the dieing. It's the resources (grain and water) taken up by livestock that could be used for humans if we all ate a plant-based diet. There are problems with a plant-based diet as well, like the fact that agriculture needs animal remains for fertiliser or they have to use fossil fuel based alternatives - so nothing is perfect but dairy and eggs still need cows and hens to be reared and fed.

      Delete
  4. Ahh lovely post - I do like that you ditched all the questions and replaced them with a nice round up. As ever your own woman.
    Well done wIth even attempting detox. I would be hopeless. I could not give up sugar. The chicken and egg this is a weird one as a vegetation I do wonder about it from time to time but I don't think vegan ism is for me and it's a step in that direction. Love cheese. Thanks for doing this - thanks always for your comments and support x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it (in the end :P ). Thanks for tagging me. I have to think this cheese and egg thing through more - also find some more plant based things to eat that satisfy me.

      Delete
  5. Aw, thanks so much! I feel very honoured and I'm going to Bookmark this so I won't forget. I will check out the original questions but I doubt I'll be doing any nudity ones either! Oh, and thank YOU for not letting me feel that I'm talking to myself either!

    By the way I'm glad to hear you're back eating some stuff, detox isn't meant to be forever and if bread is your problem what about trying yeast or wheat/gluten free for a while then re-introducing gradually?

    I recently blogged about my exercise regime and may share my full regime soon :-)

    xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very interested to hear about your regime if you choose to write it up. I'm sure I'd lose weight without the bread but It'll take an enormous commitment to give it up.

      Delete
  6. Thank you soooo much - it was seeing this on Twitter that got me to turn my computer on...
    Love ya too and will certainly be writing a follow up post.

    Liska
    @NewMumOnline
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that a good thing that I got you to turn your computer on? :P

      Delete
  7. I am glad that a bottle is now called Samuel instead :D Thank you so much for the tag too! I am honoured! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit that none of us has considered the feelings of the bottle.

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for the award and I think you're doing great on the detox programme, it's very hard to change the habits of a lifetime - I find that coffee can replace food too...so perhaps it isn't so bad after all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I keep reading about tea fighting against type 2 diabetes and coffee fighting against dementia. What's a girl to do?

      Delete
  9. Ooooooooooooooooh thank you! I accept the honour! And I love your originality for substituting the original questions for your own - that gives me some leg room to bend the rules a little too! :o),.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always leg room for bending the rules OM - your blog your rules! I look forward to your take on it.

      Delete
  10. Rachel - honored that you named me as one of your loyal (fans) readers. I really do wonder sometimes if when I write I am talking into an empty space, so comments like yours on my blog are so greatly appreciated too!..I will write a follow up but no admissions of nakedness will be found!
    Perhaps alternating coffee and tea is your best bet for eliminating dementiabetes....
    Thanks for all your encouragement.
    Gilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to drink more tea and less coffee as coffee does seem to be more addictive. Thanks, and I only encourage when I love the blog.

      Delete