Monday, July 1, 2013

#SilentSunday, Respect, & #ShabbatShalom

#ShabbatShalom
For over two years I've been participating in a linky called Silent Sunday. There are strict rules but only two of them so it's not difficult once you get your head around it - one photo, no words. I'm no photographer myself but there is great satisfaction in choosing one photo every Sunday to mark the passing of the weeks.

I didn't get it in the beginning. Words are my thing and the urge to write something was strong. I asked why no words on twitter, which is where most of us bloggers meet up. The answer was a no-nonsense: no one's forcing you to join in, if you don't like how it's run don't do it. Well it was only a question.

For over two years I've enjoyed it. I like the idea of a blog Sabbath where you don't write but communicate through a picture. I posted almost every week. I kept to the rules religiously and even left a comment below the linky as I was asked to do. Less than half the entries also leave a comment but in my mind a comment is a sort of thank you.

I often get to the linky earlier than most because we are two hours ahead and Sunday is a normal working day for us. This week the host post was up but there was no linky. In my comment I mentioned this, as had one of the other two comments, in case there had been a snafu and she wasn't aware of it. An angry tweet promptly appeared about rude windgers who don't respect the Silent Sunday blog. I was specifically told once again: no one's forcing you to join in, if you don't like how it's run don't do it.

So here's the thing. I do like how Silent Sunday is run. I like it very much. However, I also like to be treated with a bit of respect myself.

Anyway, why is a nice Jewish girl celebrating her blog Sabbath on a Sunday? From now on I shall be posting Shabbat Shalom on a Friday before our Sabbath starts at sundown. One or two photo highlights from the previous week and if I feel like it, a sentence or two of explanation. No rules,  no badge, no linky. If any of my Jewish friends fancy joining me you're welcome. You're welcome if you're not Jewish too. I'll tweet #ShabbatShalom and probably #SilentSunday as well as no one owns the hashtag.

Thanks for the memories #SilentSunday. It's been real. See you all for #ShabbatShalom next Friday.

14 comments:

  1. I hope I can join you in this! Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love you to join me Ester. Maybe I will add a linky if we have a few takers. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you're no longer taking part, that's a shame. But I love the sound of Shabbat Shalom and I'll try and take part if I remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love that Jean. I thought of calling it something like wind-down weekend to make it more exclusive but really Shabbat Shalom is perfect. It is definitely open to everyone though.

      Delete
    2. Inclusive. I meant inclusive. *hits forehead with heel of hand*

      Delete
  4. I'm impressed with how you're handling this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. In the end it was intimated that the original angry reaction was to comments and emails we didn't see so it wasn't a personal attack on me. That said, I don't need rude replies to my tweets.

      Delete
  5. Good for you, I may join in although I can never catch up with all my blog stuff lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to do it every week so you are welcome to join in when you can or feel like it. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I once made a comment that was badly received on a very useful page that I am a member of - since then I get jumped on any time I post - so I keep my head down a lot more these days... Friday is a very busy day for me, so a photo linky would be fab, and I will try and join in xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think a linky will have to be added after all.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to say - it can be very upsetting when an innocent comment is twisted into something nasty. I try to always give the benefit of the doubt if something reads strangely.

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear this happened. ShabbotShalom sounds lovely though.

    ReplyDelete