Friday, January 17, 2014

I've Been Bloggered By Google+

Dear Blogger,

Please help me. A few days ago something flashed up on my dashboard inviting me to 'switch' to Google. I don't even know where it came from though I probably clicked on something I shouldn't have. To make it go away I clicked on 'switch' without reading what it was about. Yes I know - more fool me. However, I'm already in Google, I have a G+ account and I log into Blogger via Google so what difference could it make?

Here is the difference it makes:

1. I can no longer comment on other Blogger blogs, if they are using the blogger comment facility, using my Midlife Singlemum name as I like to do and as I have always done. When I'm blogging that's my name.

2. The comment I leave having to use my real name then links back to my G+ page. That is absolutely UNFAIR AND UNACCEPTABLE. When you leave a comment it's a mutual arrangement by which you support the blogger who wrote the post and they and all their other readers can, if your comment piques their interest, click on your name to see what your blog is all about. That's how it works. You pay a visit and leave your blog calling card, not a link back to G+ where I never go and cannot begin to fathom how it all works.

3. The Google menu bar that now appears at the top of my screen when I am in my blog is in the way. It pushes a whole centimetre off the bottom of my screen view. I don't have a big screen on my laptop and I suddenly have to scroll down more often to see things I once had in view.

Please, I beg of you, please and pretty please, could you 'unswitch me' so that G+ gets the heck out of my blog. Please restore my right to sign my blog name when blog commenting and to link back to my blog not G+.

I look forward to your reply,
Midlife Singlemum
(http://midlifesinglemum.blogspot.com - in case you need it to re-establish my comment links)

UPDATE
After getting way too upset about a technical issue on the blog - no one died, etc... - big thanks to Sally Whittle of @Tots100 and @Nickie72 from Typcast who showed me where to look. Apparently, you can click on the wheel (top right of dashboard menu bar) and 'revert to blogger settings'. Who knew? Obviously I accidently clicked there in the first place but honestly, who knew?

To all the fine folk at @Blogger and @Google whom I harassed this evening in my meltdown. I apologize for my overreaction. Next time I have a problem I will of course go straight to Sally and Nickie and not bother any of you at all. 

I did think of deleting this whole post as one solution to retaining some dignity. However, already one commenter has indicated that she has the same problem and can't get out of it. So I'm leaving all my hot headedness up in the hope that someone may benefit from my experience. 

And now for a cup of tea...

20 comments:

  1. I did that too, quite a while ago. So annoying, but I couldn't find any way out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - there is a way. I've done it. Click on the wheel on your dashboard menu bar and revert to Blogger profile. Thanks to Sally (see below) and @Nickie72 for the heads up.

      Delete
  2. I think you can unlink the two again. In the Blogger dashboard, click on blogger options and 'revert to blogger profile'. Then opt for 'switch to a limited Blogger profile' and enter your 'new' name/profile as you want it to appear. So you might use Midlife Single Mum, for example. Click save, and you should be okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it worked. And now to find a way to climb back down of my high horse with dignity. Ho hum :)

      Delete
  3. Hey there! Someone linked me to this, and I wanted to help. I do work for Google, but not as part of Blogger or G+, and I'm helping out here just as a fellow internet user :)

    I think way this is supposed to work is with a +Page. A +Page is like a G+ user, but for an organization or a brand rather than a person. If you go into Google+ and open up the bar on the left and hit "Pages", you can create a +Page called "Midlife Singlemum" (or whatever you like). Then you can use that page to be your alternative identity on G+ and Blogger. If you go into your blog's settings and go to "Google+" you can choose to "write your blog as Midlife Singlemum", and I believe comment as well.

    I'm not sure how the comment linking works there (it probably still links to G+, not the blog), but at least you get the name you want, and on the +Page you can link here.

    This isn't to discourage you from trying to get it set back the way you want it, just giving you another option and trying to explain the way the G+ team probably meant it to work.

    Let me know if you have any questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hunter. I appreciate your help. I've reverted to the blogger profile as it's better for me to keep it really simple - see how I overreacted about a tiny technical issue? Thanks for taking the time to explain though.

      Delete
  4. No problem! However works best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh hun you poor thing! What a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, in hindsight, I could have kept calm and just asked instead of getting so upset about it. #20/20hindsight

      Delete
  6. I am so glad you got your blogger identity back. So unfair to lose it. Those of us who blog anonymously do so for a reason and it IS 'unfair and unacceptable ' when your real identity is revealed (even if people can find out who you are if they look hard enough). I will be revisiting this post if the same thing ever happens to me!

    xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True about the anonymity although I'm not anonymous - I just prefer to use the Midlife label when I'm blogging. Part of the reason is that it's more memorable than my real name. Also, to be fair, I did click on the thing that chose to blog as my G+ account.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for keeping it up, I am pleased someone else has random technical issues of their own doing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you'd think I'd have learned by now that these things can usually be fixed quite easily - especially as I made the mistake in the first place.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for this will have to try it myself I switched to google plus but you had to use your real name and I always just left my calling card as 'natasha' then I tried to change my name but they don't let you - so this tab thing lets you go back?x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup. I was feeling stupid about making such a big fuss but now at least I'm glad others have benefitted from my meltdown. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you found a solution and also left this up so that it will be of help to others too, who find themselves in the same situation. Welcome back Midlife Singlemum :)

    ReplyDelete