Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Discipline and #itonlyworks

Looking for inspiration for the New Year, I trawled the blogosphere to find my motivation.

From Kate at Kate takes 5 came the idea of a word to anchor you and remind you of your direction for the year. My word for 2015 is Discipline.

We are going to bed too late, I am spending too much time online, I am not preparing lessons well enough in advance, housework is sporadic....

I've never been very self disciplined but some times are better than others. This year has been particularly sluggish with more than the usual amount of procrastination.

There is a quote: How you spend your days is how you spend your life. (Attributed to American author, Annie Dillard but I don't know if she said it first.)

My life is in danger of being lived almost entirely on fb and The DM Online. So no specific resolutions this year, just an overall discipline applied to each day.

I've also been following Jack Black on Mortgage Free in Three. His directive is to write down 30 goals in a short amount of time - without thinking too much about it, letting your subconscious in on the act, and not restricting yourself to what you perceive to be manageable. Then chunk these down to seven goals to concentrate on. He gives tasks that help imprint your goals onto your brain so that you are always working towards them even if you don't realize it. There is a bit of 'letting the universe take care of it' voodoo involved but I actually believe in what my friends Liska (New Mum Online) and Aviva Belfer call cosmic ordering. It usually delivers quite reliably in my experience. And Jack swears that #itonlyworks.

So there you have it, to be elaborated on in future posts. I won't be quite as organised as Nickie at Typecast with her bullet journal, Filofax and desk diary but you've got admit, she's got quite a system going there. I have my 30 year old Filofax and will certainly be making good use of it with lists aplenty.

Happy New Year to everyone, may 2015 be the year of our lives! xxx

21 comments:

  1. Interesting! I've just been thinking about that word issue. Not sure what mine is yet. :-)
    Huge good luck for 2015! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to hearing your word when you find it. Happy New Year! xxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for including my blog post - hope it inspires a few more people ;-)
    I have no idea what my word for 2015 is yet - I'm sure it will come to me soon.

    Happy new year to you and yours. Hope 2015 is a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pregnant in my forties - hopefully!December 31, 2014 at 4:48 PM

    I'm quite a recent follower of your blog but thanks so much for this post! It's given me loads of homework to help get a grip on 2015... I've felt the momentum slip recently (around the 8th mince pie I reckon) and must get it back!
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good luck for being pregnant in your forties. I hope this is your year. xxxx

      Delete
    2. pregnant in my forties - hopefully!January 5, 2015 at 5:37 PM

      Thankyou! So do I!! x

      Delete
  4. Best wishes for 2015. Good luck with being more disciplined, some great links. If I have a moment away from waiting for something interesting to happen on FB - I will read. I too need, perhaps not discipline, structure..... I need more time to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Structure is a good word too. Wish you loads of luck for the coming year. xxx

      Delete
  5. My word for 2015 is "elimination". Seeing this post makes me want to blog about it right now. I feel so very honoured that you've included me. I've bought a 2015 diary already and on a page in there j wrote a small list of the people in my blogging satsang and you're right up there xxxxxx p.s. Happy New Year xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been waiting for your inspirational New Year's post - you usually excell at this type of thing. I love your spiritual input. Happy New Year Lovely xxx

      Delete
  6. If I had a word for 2015 it would probably be 'detach', because I need to stop taking things personally :) I will be printing my 2015 diary tomorrow and there will be 'bullets' involved too, but probably different ones to Nickie :)


    Happy New Year and here's to leaving procrastination behind xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the sound of the anchor word and the goals thing....
    I think Discipline is a wonderful choice. Being more organised amd going to bed earlier were top of my 2014 goals.... and my 2015. Sigh.....!!

    Love and wishes to you both for 2015 xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have a history of promising the same resolutions year after year, that's why I need the discipline, lol.

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year! May 2015 be brilliant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post - helpful/inspiring. Thanks for it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy new year and good luck with your resolutions xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought we weren't allowed to have resolutions anymore - now it all has to be goals and words apparently. LOL. Thanks though.

      Delete