Monday, January 19, 2015

Four Years, Four Changes, Four Blessings


4

Today it's my four year blogiversary. Four years of blogging. I can feel the changes: 

1. There are fewer posts as some things, like religious and national festivals, are the same each year so why write about them again, and again, and again.

2. I'm less competitive and hung up over the stats. I don't feel the need to join new trendy networking sites in order to 'grow' my blog.

3. In some ways my community of bloggers has shrunk and settled. I have my regular blog buddies and we know each other well enough. I'm not trying to widen my readership by engaging with new bloggers especially.

4. I have become a lazy blogger but a more confident one. I don't need to write 'my blog my rules' as it's a given. In fact, I've noticed that as blogging increases there aren't any 'blogging rules' posts going around these days. This was my Blogging Charter three years ago. The first comment under it, written by me, shows how lacking in blogging confidence I was back then.

Despite all the above I still love my blog and I love blogging when I've got something interesting to write. A couple of weeks ago I wondered if I'd reached a natural end to Midlife Singlemum as I barely managed 90 posts in 2014 (and some months only 1 or 2). But, no, even a once a week blogger is a blogger.

The very best things about blogging are:

1. The record of our lives from when DD was just two years old.

2. The blogging friends I've made from all over the word. A super supportive network of disperate (not desperate) people who are always there to offer advice, celebrate, commiserate, give technical assistance, laugh and generally widen my horizons more than any local hobby group could.

3. Call me an exhibitionist (and you'd be right) but I enjoy my small measure of infamy even among people I don't know personally.

4. I am a regularly published writer at last, which fulfills a lifelong dream.

Thank you for reading. I raise my glass to you all, to Blogger, to the internet, and to freedom of speech. 
Happy Blogiversary to me!


8 comments:

  1. Mazal Tov! Don't stop, even if it's only a couple of times a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's safe to say that you are my biggest fan - even if we don't always agree on everything. Thanks Gillian. xxx

      Delete
  2. Mazal tov, Rachel. You inspired me to blog and I love reading your posts. I also only write when I have something to say-sometimes it's only been twice a month. So keep doing what you do best - explaining, exploring, humoring and writing beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Gilly. It's amazing how quickly blogging becomes a part of your life once you start.

      Delete
  3. I'm pretty sure I don't count among the super supportive, although it would be fair to say I'm disparate. Still, I enjoy reading a lot, and look forward to your next year of posts, however infrequent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caz, anyone who reads the blog is super supportive in my book.

      Delete
  4. I do think you settle into your blog as the years tick by. I know I have. I don't follow any rules at all. although the rules you posted gave me a really good laugh as I don't do any of them! I barely read my TOTS 100 ranking these days because it depresses me too much (the new algorithms mean my blog has dropped about 300 places now LOL!). I write a niche blog and it's never going to compete with the big blogs. I thought I was supposed to do that for a while and now, like you, I enjoy my regular readers (and I'm grateful to you for being one of mine). I'm hoping to get over here and keep up with you a bit more now. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost all understanding of the TOTS 100 algorithms long ago. Now I''m just happy if I'm in the top 300.

      Delete