Wednesday, May 20, 2015

One Dieting Day

The new regime goes as follows:

Breakfast - 2 oatcakes (made with 1 cup oats and water and baked) with butter OR 1 cup of porridge made with skimmed milk or water. 

Lunch - 1 cup of protein (a fist size) OR 1 cup of carbs, and salad.

Supper - 1 cup protein (a fist size) OR 1 cup of carbs, and cooked vegetables. 

Lots of water and herbal teas. 

It's loosely based on a very strict diet followed by a friend in London who does it once a year and loses a lot of weight very fast. Her regime is the oat breakfast, a baked potato at lunch with salad and the protein at supper with cooked vegetables. I can't justify baking 1 potato every day in my big oven and I have store cupboard full of other carbs like couscous and pasta. I also have a lot of weight to lose and I'm petrified of the loose skin syndrome flaunted so often in the DM (I'm hoping my excess weight isn't in that league but I can't be sure). So I'm being less strict and taking it more slowly.

I have also enlisted an international celebrity to be my weight-loss buddy. I know you are all now trying to think of all the overweight celebrities you know but I am keeping my buddy's identity a secret until such time that she might like to 'out' herself with a guest post here (or write anonymously?). We are committed to 15 weeks of this so we have until September 1st.

Here's what happened yesterday (Tuesday 19/5/15).

Breakfast - I just needed my coffee with milk. I forgot to add tea/coffee with milk into the diet but I think I need it. I didn't feel like porridge or makng it.

Lunch - I was hungry by 10 a.m but I'd not been shopping yet. I found an old cabbage in the fridge so after chopping off the outer parts, I diced and sauteed it in olive oil (not much) and a shot of soy sauce. In the real diet you're not suppposed to add salt but I did, and pepper. Then I remembered I was supposed to have a protein with it, or a carb but it was easiest to open a can of tuna. It was surpisingly delicious.

Tuna Cabbage in mild soy sauce saute
Lunch 2 - I teach one course of mature students and they are all women on day release from their regular work. They take turns to bring in lunch. Today's lunch was particularly tempting. She had made fresh doughy rolls and brought in cheese and salad to go with it. Well one roll was about 1 cup of carbs and I filled mine with some quark and salad. I washed it down with another coffee with milk.

It was 1.30 pm and I'd finished lunch and 'supper'.

Luckily I was teaching until 4.15 and then had to go and collect DD from school. There was homework to supervise, food to prepare for DD, and other evening chores to do. DD reminded me that I was on a diet a few times in case I forgot and accidently ate some of her ice-cream, heaven forfend.

At 7pm I was of course hungry. There were three choices. 1. Make the porridge I didn't have for breakfast but I didn't feel like it. 2. Finish DD's leftovers of pasta in tomato sauce and [highly processed] vegetarian sausages but that was completely forbidden as I've already had my carbs today. 3. Make a cup of tea (with milk) and see if the hunger passes.

I opted for number 3 but before I could get to the kettle I found myself scoffing down the sausages and pasta. Then I made my tea with milk and the hunger was assuaged.

A quick totting up of estimated calories says I had about 1,500 - well that's still little enough to lose weight (at my size) and it was three meals with no snacking. I consider Day 1 to be a good enough dieting day.


11 comments:

  1. From Margie in Toronto - I'm on 1200 calories a day (have been for about 5 months and I've lost over 40 pounds so far) but I eat a lot more than you are. Lots of veg, fruit and protein make up the bulk of meals (I do eat meat but small portions so eggs, cheese, yogurt, and beans, along with more fish, make up the bulk of the protein) - one Dr. is completely Paleo and would like me to cut out all carbs (but the other Dr. can't give up her rice or pasta so isn't as strict) so I manage about 3 or 4 days a week with no carbs. Never really hungry but do get cravings for bread and for sweets - it's not easy is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it matters what diet you follow - they all work if you do them. I think the most important thing is to get yourself into the right mindset to be excited about ti and single minded. That is the hard part. And sustaining that mindset beyond a couple of weeks is very hard.

      Delete
  2. I love your dieting posts - they're very real and reflective of my experience. Since January I've been doing 5:2, which I like. I can cope with being hungry in the short term when I know that I get to eat the next day. No dramatic weight loss though (although scales are going down) - perhaps because of the ridiculous amounts I consume on eating days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that people dont eat enough food on eating days to negate the benefit of the dast days. So even if it's only a little benefit it's working as your scales are going own slowly. If you have the patience this seems like a really good system.

      Delete
  3. Mindset is so important and so difficult. I've been on yet another diet since last year and have managed to lose 15kg. What has worked for me is to cut out all fats. It's slow going but I'm fairly confident I can do it! You don't seem to be eating much. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A celebrity weight-loss buddy? I'm intrigued!
    Well done on the excellent start. I'm doing something similar but there is the almost daily essential inclusion of a low-fat chocolate bar. I prefer to lose what I have to lose slowly and to not totally deprive myself. Wine is also allowed on my diet. Don't forget to include exercise, if you can, because that will help soak up any stray extra calories and will tone you up too ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my celebrity buddy may have wimped out on me - I'm going to message her now.

      Delete
  5. Well done although that first meal sounded grim! I put a link on my tuesday weigh in and there's a great one which tells you how many cals you need to lose 2lb stay the same etc. I also found the best article about weight loss - have a read if you have time. I have eating under my calorie intake all week and worked out x 4 - I've given myself till August to lose 2 stone! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I als have one of those calcullators on my microsoft package - it came with windoews 8.1 in the health section. But I'll def check out your links.

      Delete
  6. It's also an age thing. Diets that showed immediate and fast results 5 years ago, don't work so well now - and, when you stop, the weight goes back on really fast - much faster than before!! For those of you in England, slimming world seems to be a great on-going eating plan where one loses enormous amounts of weight over time and then keeps it off!!!

    ReplyDelete