Friday, May 27, 2016

Juice Fast - Day 5, The Turning Point

My new friend. The bag makes it easier to take out the discarded fibre.
Yesterday, Thursday, was the turning point. By Wednesday evening I'd had enough of smoothies, they weren't doing it for me and I was beginning to feel like I was liquidizing my salads for no good reason. Yesterday I tried juicing. I feel like I've found the elixir of life.

I had my usual coffee with oat milk for breakfast but, as on Wednesday, I didn't need another coffee at all during the day.

At 11.30 I gathered up a whole load of fruits and vegetables and trotted next door for a juicing lesson with Aviva Belfer. The smaller juicer that she was going to lend me was on the table and her big-mama juicer was set up on the side where it lives.

I showed her my produce and asked her to talk me through it. Aviva likes to make green juices and not include fruit because of the sugar content. I totally agree with this so we went ahead with her recipe. I'd much rather stick to vegetable juices and eat my fruit as pieces of fruit.

Aviva starts with a whole lemon, a knob of fresh ginger, a knob of fresh tumeric (I had never seen fresh tumeric before - I didn't even know it looked like orange ginger), cucumbers, celery, and beet leaves (hers were finished so we used my spinach leaves instead). I also had some parsley so we added that though it doesn't make enough juice to be worth it. Next time I'll save the parsley for a salad.

I tasted it and it was good but a bit too lemony for me. So we added a few carrots and it was perfect (although I think I'll still put in less lemon when I make my own). It was just the right amount sweet. It was fresh and light. It was delicious. And it still had some fibre in it even though it was juice.

The elixir of life.
I brought home the juicer and set it up in the kitchen. All I wanted was another vegetable juice but I wasn't hungry and it would have been silly so I drank water instead. When DD came home from school I ate her olive sandwich that she'd not eaten at school (1 hot dog roll with olives inside - it's what she likes usually).

When she went to a birthday party later I made my very own juice in my very own [borrowed] juicer. It had a chunk of lemon, fresh ginger, cucumbers, celery, spinach leaves, and carrots. I loved, loved, loved it!

Later I ate a banana and a bowl of melon. I drank an apple juice spritzer (half store bought apple juice and half soda water). I felt virtuous.

And this morning the scales showed another 31lb loss. So at the end of the original 5-day challenge I lost 5.4lbs and that's without even doing it religiously. I'm going to continue until the end of the full week although I will eat a light supper with my friend this evening.

I'm linking up to Reasons 2B Cheerful over at Mummy from the Heart, for obvious reasons.

  

13 comments:

  1. Bet that feels good. I know when I juiced I felt better.. Maybe if it stays warm I'll have another go here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested to hear about your experiences with it.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It ends up as a condensed fist-sized blob of fibre - like mashed up grass. I suppose it's a waste if you want to eat bulk to fill you up but from the nutrition side there is no waste.

      Delete
    2. Sue SurkesMay 27, 2016 at 9:33 AM
      Interesting - had you been using a blender before? Aren't juicers wasteful in terms of what they don't use? (I copied, deleted and reposted this comment as it had a mile of line spaces below it.)

      Delete
  3. Ohh I've never tried juicing but I know some people swear by it. I'm sure Liska used to juice a lot. This sounds as if it is really working for you and you are enjoying it, how fabulous is that? Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far but early days yet. The longest I've ever done vegan is 12 days so another week before I beat that record.

      Delete
  4. Well done, I really hope you've found a way of eating that works for you. I have a liquidiser that I use a lot - for smoothies, dips and soups, but I can't imagine them without a piece of toast on the side :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll continue to use my liquidizer for soups with toast on the side of course, and banana milk shake with oat milk and dates is a favourite too.

      Delete
  5. Hi Rachel! Finding new recipes for the juices is key! I've used this page before, https://juicerecipes.com/recipes/, Joe also has some recipes on his page. Personally, I found that peeled orange, ginger, fennel bulbs (and sometimes carrot), is my absolute favourite! You wouldn't imagine fennel is so yummy! Also, try juicing melon and mint together! I also dislike lemon in my juices though, I rarely use it. Good luck and keep it up! Lina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lina, I will experiment with some new recipes.

      Delete
  6. I used to juice quite a lot but can't be bothered with the faff nowadays. I can recommend carrot and apple as a basic, esp with ginger. An all time favourite. And beet is very, very good for everything. So glad to hear you've done incredibly well and you're right to focus on the fact you've remained vegan - massive achievement and very inspiring. The rest will come naturally with all this effort you're making. You're finding your way. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I"m not sure exactly what my way is yet but I'm trying to find it.

      Delete