Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Mummy Why Are You Going To Die?

As you can imagine, I was pretty shocked when DD came out with this question, especially as she said it with some urgency. Having gently introduced the concept of death a couple of weeks ago when it unexpectedly came up in one of our library books, I was quite pleased with the way I'd handled it.

I racked my brain to remember where I had gone wrong with my 'gentle' explanation. I started to think of possibilities. Did I say some stupid phrase like 'you'll be the death of me'? No. That's not one of the things I say.

Did I perhaps mention that everyone dies eventually? No. I was very careful to keep it to very very old people (yes, much older than Grandma). Whilst DD knows that she will grow up and be a grownup one day, I don't think she he has thought it through all the way to old age.



This week's 100 Word Challenge came with the prompt: 

...being clear is essential to... 

I couldn't resist using it to tell you the rest of the conversation. When you're done, pop over to Julia's Place to read the other entries. 





Being Clear Is Essential To Good Parenting

"I'm not going to die Darling."
"Yes, you said it."
"No I didn't."
"Yes you said you're going to die!" She's getting upset now. And so am I. 

Desperately trying to remember what I'd said that she could have misconstrued, "I didn't say that. I'm not going to die!"
"Why you told me that then?" DD almost in tears.
"I didn't!" Me almost in tears.

Trying again, "What did I say? Can you remember?"
"You said you're going to die because your bottom's too big to fit on the swing."
"Diet, Darling. I'm going to diet, not die." 



From Google Images under Fat Women Cartoons


46 comments:

  1. hahahahaha!! After the sad news we've all had on Twitter tonight this is a really welcome bit of light relief! It made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-oh, what bad news? Glad I made you laugh. Now I'm going over to twitter to read the news.

      Delete
  2. We had a similar thing happen when dd was 2 1/2. DH was watching her and her new school friend whose father had most tragically died of a quick cancer when she (sf/school friend) was 13 months old. DD said "Where's your daddy."
    SF: He died.
    DD: My daddy died too.
    SF: No he didn't. He's right here.
    DD: Yes he died. He scuba died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. And I know the very swing.... Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the one. What do you mean well done? I still can't fit into the swing!

      Delete
  4. She is just so sweet... Poor little mite, and poor you! I am sure you do fit on the swing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uhm, ok I can squeeze in but it's not comfortable.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Dughall, it's been a while but this one practiacally wrote itself.

      Delete
  6. Brilliant. Must avoid scuba diving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious. That story's a keeper for the grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although the scuba diving one just as funny... do you think I could choose which story to pass on?

      Delete
    2. Thanks Gillian..as my namesake you wrote a great reply!

      Delete
  8. That was fantastic - just finished my breakfast with a big smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - my breakfast is rather a low-cal affair these days :(

      Delete
  9. My heart was in my mouth reading that - then it burst out laughing! What a worry for the mo tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was strangely upsetting as it played out even though I knew I wasn't going to die.

      Delete
  10. Oh priceless! Out of the mouths of babes ...!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha. I loved it.
    It was a good thing you weren't coloring her hair that day too.
    She might have thought you'd dye twice.

    ;-) Randy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry - make that:

    It was a good thing you weren't coloring your hair that day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I shall think twice before informing her that I'm going to dye my hair.

      Delete
  13. I have to say I just love it when you post these incredible cutisms from you DD AND your readers share incredibly cutisms too, between the scuba died, the bottom fitting on the swing, and hair dyeing....that is why I am a fan of your blog! Thanks for putting a smile on my face in North Carolina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to have a reader in North Caroliner! Thanks for bring a fan :).

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I must proof-read before I post. I meant Carolina and being a fan, of course.

      Delete
  14. That was quick thinking ! I have to keep telling my son that they will probably have a cure for death before either of us gets there - seems to be working so far :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I really did say diet not die, she just got confused as we'd mentioned die a couple of weeks ago. I like the idea of a cure for death - now that is creative thinking.

      Delete
  15. Great job of telling the story so that we couldn't see the punch line coming! Oh, those cute kid moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I know - those cute moments that you almost don't want to correct.

      Delete
  16. I keep joking about how I'd die rather than be able to run a whole 5k (as I keep walking more than running the course at the moment) but I think I better make sure that Our Sidekick understands I'm not actually dying it just feels like it lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be a wise move - you never know what they understand (or don't) and what they choose to focus on.

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Thanks - in the end it was sweet, after all the upsetment.

      Delete
  18. Hilarious example of how common are misunderstandings between parent and child -- not to mention one human being and another.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh dear, this did make me laugh! A crucial life lesson to learn to listen! Poor DD x

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is cute! The poor girl was crushed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - it is nice to know that she was crushed at least.

      Delete