Monday, December 17, 2012

4yo On Her Phone Again

Lighting her own menorah
Saturday night was the grand finale to the eight days of Hanukkah. We lit all the eight (plus one server) candles on the menorah. We sang the songs for the last time this year. The Hanukkah Songs CD was swapped for my Kings College Choir Singing Christmas Carols first thing this morning.

There was a joke but I forget what it was
I'm not sure what to do with DD's menorah. I have  my own fancy menorah that I didn't even bother to get out this year as DD's arts and crafts menorah from kindergarten was so big. I kept her effort from last year as it was small and tucks nicely into the corner of the display cabinet. Also last
year was the first one she'd made. There will be arts and crafts menorot (pl) brought home for the next six years at least and I can't see us keeping all of them. I think this one may just disappear after a respectful interval of time.

DD was especially happy on the last night as I'd miscalculated the presents and there were actually three left instead of the usual one.

And then the most extraordinary and irritating thing happened. I sat down with her to play her new game and do her new puzzle (and eat her new Pezz sweets in a silly dispenser). She sat there throughout with one hand up to her ear, having a detailed telephone conversation with an imaginary friend. I was left silently passing her the puzzle pieces and pointing hints when she needed help. Largely, she just ignored me. So I got out the camera.

I don't know where she gets this from. I do have friends who meet you for coffee and then spend the whole of your precious time speaking to other people on their mobiles. I don't do this as I find it extremely rude behaviour from anyone who isn't a transplant surgeon or the Minister of Defense. In fact I hardly ever chat on the phone before DD is in bed asleep. Now I'm wondering if the staff at kindergarten are on the phone a lot.

If you're wondering what language she's speaking, it's some Hebrew with a lot of made-up Hebrew (i.e. Hebrew sounding made-up words).

18 comments:

  1. This is precious...she has typical phone talk down pat...so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - she has to heard this from somewhere or maybe it's simply innate female behaviour.

      Delete
  2. When my youngest was about that age she used to pretend to paint her nails a lot and would dunk her cookies / bamba / anything in her drink - both behaviours I discovered she was imitating from her day care ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend on fb also pointed out that they imitate other children who imitate their mums. So it probably does come from kindergarten but not necessarily from the staff there.

      Delete
  3. That was just so sweet - Little A loves pretending she's on the phone too - she definitely gets it from me! :o).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hysterical how they copy everything. I love listening to DD role playing with her teddies or even pretend children.

      Delete
  4. I think it's innate female behaviour personally! :D A teacher friend gave me some advice once - "you cannot keep every piece of artwork, take a picture and that way you can keep it for posterity" and you already have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well this shows that she is aware of whats going on around her...
    Please don't throw away her חנוכיה - my 20 year old solider asked me where his kindergarten חנוכיה was!!
    They stop making them once the start school ):

    ReplyDelete
  6. True to your first comment. About the hanukkiah - It's just so big. I've not made any final decisions and I do still have last year's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww so sweet, all mine did this too and I haven't even got a mobile phone! so yes its either just inbuilt or they are picking up from friends and other people.. or maybe its not a mobile phone at all.. its a ordinary house phone... that I unfortunately do have to speak on a fair bit...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It could be the landline phone but I don't think she knows the difference and I also don't chat on that phone much when she's around. If I do get on the phone, suddenly she gets very demanding and needy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well even if you don't keep the menorah you'll have to keep the video -priceless and impossible to replicate!! It'll be wonderful for her wedding video perhaps? :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or even for the Bat Mitva compulsory powerpoint presentation. If powerpoint is still around in 2020.

      Delete
  10. So cute - my little one is only 22 months but pretends to be on the phone to Cinderella constantly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinderella! Your little one has a celebrity social circle - LOL

      Delete
  11. Terribly cute! Looks like she's copying someone alright!

    xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jazzy, someone, anyone and everyone I think.

      Delete