Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Seahorses At The winter Zoo

Today we went to the zoo. Even though I've had membership for 2 1/2 years this is the first time we've been in the winter. Essentially this means that the bears are asleep. I love the bears. They're so big and near and, well, wild animal-like. It was shame we didn't see them and a shame for them that they miss Hanukkah every year.

I've said it before about the zoo - you think you learned all the animals in kindergarten and then you get to the zoo and find you've never even heard of most of the animals. I always learn something new. In honour if the 8 nights of Hanukkah, here are 8 things I learned at the zoo today:

1. Bears really do hibernate for the winter (and miss the whole of Hanukkah).

2. Even when they work at the zoo, the bears get the winter off for hibernation.

3. There really are such things as seahorses and they really look like the Yardley soap-on-a-rope I got when I was about 12. Actually they're even more beautiful in shades of sparkly blue and delicate gold.

4. I've never eaten shrimp in my life. I saw live shrimp today for the first time (i.e. outside of an M&S food dept). The reason I've never eaten them may be because they're not kosher but, having seen live ones I can tell you, there's more than one reason for not eating a shrimp.

5. Tilapia, Nile Perch, and St Peter's Fish (from the Sea of Galilee) are one and the same. We know about tilapia from Eric Carle's Mr Seahorse. The female lays her eggs in the male's mouth for safekeeping until they hatch don't you know. #don'tevengothere

6. Crocodiles really do sleep with their eyes open. And wild crocodiles were hunted in Israel as recently as 1905.

7. Even though you've been to the zoo 100 times and have 1000 photos of it on your computer, you shouldn't leave your camera at home.

8. When you are 4 the most exciting things are the zoo train and the possibility of buying an ice-lolly. We didn't buy an ice-lolly but we did see an elephant doing a big wee-wee and kaki which was adequate compensation for not being allowed an ice-lolly.

As it's still Hanukkah and I don't have any new pictures of the zoo, here is an a capella mashup of modern and ancient Hanukkah songs:

10 comments:

  1. First spam comments ever to get through the spam blocker. What's going on Blogger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your comment in the 3 bedrooms so I blog hop here! I agree there are many things you can learn by the actual visit. Reading it is different than being there. All senses captures the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned so much from this post! Sounds like a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The zoo is always a great day. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Sea horses are so beautiful. There's always something new at the zoo!
    I am also getting a lot of spam to 1 post in particular. Something strange is going on on Blogger.
    Happy Chanukah to you and DD
    GIlly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re the spam, Blogger should be blocking it before it gets onto the blog. When there is one post getting loads of spam comments it's because the URL has got on to some list that's sold or sent around the world for people fishing for hits to their websites. It's very annoying but does wonders for your stats. Think of it as a Hanukkah present but never click on the links!

      Delete
    2. Oh the silver lining of stats boosts!
      Thanks Rachel

      Delete