Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The First Question About Daddy

It was at my daughter's birthday party at the nursery. Seventeen two-year-olds sat on little chairs in a circle and Darling Daughter (DD from now on) sat on the birthday throne. I sat next to her and waited eagerly for the teacher to begin - it was my first time. "Who's having a birthday today?" asked the teacher? "DD!" shouted the children (except that they used her real name of course). "And who has come to celebrate her birthday with DD?" "DD's mummy!" "That's right." Before she could continue a little voice from stage left called out, "where's daddy?"

I turned to the little girl and stetched my hands out, palms upward, with a look of I don't know, where could he possibly be? on my face, and we moved on. DD didn't even notice. As yet she has no idea (as far as I know) that our family of two is in any way unusual. However, this event has given me a 'heads up' that we are heading into question territory and it's possibly just around the corner.

So I came up with a line that we will use until more detailed explanations are appropriate: "DD doesn't have a daddy, but she has a mummy who loves her as much as a mummy and a daddy together!"

11 comments:

  1. Aah...good line.
    Welcome to the world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a superb first post. Scene setting and dialogue is so easy to read. Really enjoyed it. Sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - I'd be delighted if you signed up. Enjoy - Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect solution! DD is truly very loved :-) Is this your firstpost ever? So glad you shared it:-)

    xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jazzy - yes my very first post. And six months later there's been no more mention. Except that DD is obsessed with Beauty's daddy in B and the Beast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a great line to use! DD is blessed to have a strong, loving mother. I have the utmost respect for single parents; they are exceptional! Over from Blog Gems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up without a dad, mine died when I was 2 and I have no memory of him. I grew up fine, possibly not understanding of how they work, marriage and a son(IVF twins)has changed my perceptions. It all works out and we all adapt to situations, as long as a child is loved that is the greatest thing we give them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Jo. A lot has happened since I wrote this post and I now see that you are absolutely right.

      Delete
  8. A great first post, and the perfect introduction to your blog xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite a good one wasn't it? I'm particualrly proud that Her Mellness commented as I admire her writing and her character so much.

      Delete