Monday, December 22, 2014

The Lord Giveth....

... and the Lord taketh away.

A few weeks ago the Head of English at the college I applied to teach at last February, was accepted by, was rejected by temporarily, etc... called me and asked the progress of the verification of my MA at the Ministry of Education. I was happy to tell her that my application had been accepted and I was expecting a reply within the month.

"That's great," she said, "because we have a job for you here, starting next semester, in February."

Here are the posts about the hoops I jumped through just to get my application accepted by the MoE.

Disqualified
Requalifying

Yesterday the envelope arrived in the post. Full credit for both my first and second degree - each with a certificate of verification from the MoE.

The first thing I did was call the Head of English to tell her the good news and maybe arrange a time to meet with her. However... unfortunately... we have a problem....

The college has just issued a directive that they should only employ teachers with a PhD.

She's going to put in a special request for me because they need a good teacher, with experience, who is available... and not many PhDs are willing to teach level 4 English to students taking English under duress. (Every degree course in Israel requires that you reach a certain level of Academic English. Imagine if you had to have Academic French in order to get any degree in the UK - well that's how some most of the student's feel about it.)

God must have some very good reason for not wanting me to teach at this college. I'd go with His plan without a fight if He'd give me another source of income in its place.


16 comments:

  1. PhD - what a joke!
    And they wonder why they can't get teachers.
    hope it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Adam, I'm hopeful. Of course if I could afford to do a PhD I wouldn't need the job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh....hope this works out for you in the end

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's just nuts, I really hope that the Head of English can sort this out for you, you deserve a break and a fresh start in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh gosh how frustrating. I sure hope they manage to persuade the powers to be that your qualifications are enough. Happy holidays lovely lady. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mich, from one lovely lady to another. xx

      Delete
  6. Oh no... Fingers crossed they can come up with a solution...

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you said 'there must be a reason....' 'cos this is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is a reason and that's why I'm letting the Universe decide. I firmly believe that something better will come along.

      Delete
  8. Oh for goodness sake! I am getting SO frustrated on your behalf. I hope they see sense and do the right thing by you. Tell them you have a PhD in jumping hoops...... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, only everyone here has a PhD in jumping hoops - you have to or you'd never survive.

      Delete
  9. Aargh. And after all you've been through so far!

    ReplyDelete