Big Chief Recipeshed (aka Reluctant Housedad) issued the directive - One Pot Wonders. Tbh, I've done one of these as my vegetarian cholent has to be the ultimate OPW. And the not the carrot tsimmes was pretty much an OPW except that I served it with rice on the side. However, I rose to the challenge and came up with Mildly Curried Rice With Everything. Certainly makes one wonder, eh?
You can use any vegetables you happen to have for this dish but I would say that the onion and potato are pretty much essential, along with the rice and lentils of course. I used the following:
Mildly Curried Rice With Everything
1 cup rice
1/2 cup lentils (soaked for an hour in cold water)
a chunk of cabbage
a handful of frozen sweetcorn
what was left of the frozen green-beans
oil for frying
water for cooking
Seasonings: salt, pepper, curry powder, soy sauce.
1. Soak your lentils
2. cut all the fresh vegetables into very small cubes.
3. Put the oil in the wonder pot and saute all the vegetables until they are starting to brown.
4. Add the lentils and rice and saute for a further 1-2 minutes.
5. Add about 6 cups of water and bring to the boil.
6. Add the seasonings. I used about a tablespoon of curry powder for a very mild curry taste.
7. Simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes.
8. Turn off the heat and let it sit for a further 10 minutes to absorb the last of the liquid.
Easy peasy lemon squeezey! :~)