Thursday, June 13, 2013

Jewish Women Covering Their Hair

Grace Kelly should've been Jewish
Religious married Jewish women cover their hair. It's because your hair is your crowning glory and might attract attention from the opposite sex which would be immodest. There's also the notion of keeping the beauty exclusively for your husband's enjoyment.

Love this style from Pinterest
There are various degrees and styles of head covering. Some women will not show a strand of their own hair while others will be fine with a small bandanna. Styles range from elaborate wigs and hats to snoods, scarves and berets.



BB, not Jewish, what a waste






My friend Hipstermom wrote this post about her headscarf saga over the years. When you think about it, it's a huge commitment to never go out without covering your hair. And in a hot climate like Israel, the summer brings its own challenges.

In the fb discussion that followed, I posted a picture of the beautiful Natalie Portman, who happens to be Jewish and married but does not cover her hair all the time. She's wearing an exquisite headscarf creation in that perfectly groomed, porcelain complexion way that only Hollywood and Photoshop can achieve.  "Not fair!" cried Hipstermom, and rightly so.

Not fair!

As I teach a class of mature students in a religious college in Jerusalem, I thought I'd offer some examples of how real women do the cover up (with their permission). Bear in mind that these are women with several children, full time jobs, doing a part-time degree, and they cover their hair every day like this. Personally, I think it's pretty impressive.









I couldn't manage it myself...



12 comments:

  1. lol - love the picture!! hahaha. 6 years of covering my hair, and i'm still trying to work out how to tie tichels and keep them on without slipping.

    This week at work, i was wearing a very light, slinky tichel - so light that i didn't notice it fell off. after talking to a professor who came in to the company, and the COO of our company, i happened to walk past my desk and was horrified to see my tichel on my desk. I had been walking around with my hair in a messy pony and velvet headband (the ones they sell to make your tichel "non -slip")

    (michal lazarus)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - they probably thought the non-slip band was your head covering.

      Delete
  2. Do you remember a long long time ago I wrote a blog post about how I am happiest when I am in a turban.
    I never knew you had all this knowledge up your sleeve.
    You have really really educated me with this post.
    As my crown and third eye chakras open more and more I literally can't tolerate having my hair down and can't bear my fringe :-(
    I think at some point I need to start covering my hair every day and doing yoga every day.
    My path is ready but it is me that is not :-(
    Liska xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that post and you do it so well. Sometimes I'd like to wear a scarf to keep my hair out of the way but here it is a whole statement about who you are - and I'm not that person. Shame really.

      Delete
    2. I remember that post. And you do it so well. Sometimes I'd like to wear a scarf but it's a whole statement here about who you are and I'm not that person. Shame really.

      Delete
  3. I also did a post showing how beautiful Princess Kate looked when her hair was covered a while back, on an overseas tour xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this is why I love reading your blog - because it's a window into a different world :) I did not know any of this and I am so impressed with some of the styles of the women in your class - I can't even work out what to do with a neck scarf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real art form. maybe I'll do anther one one day with more styles.

      Delete
  5. Such an interesting read and you must thank the ladies in your class for sharing. They all have such lovely styles of wearing a scarf - all so unique and some lovely materials and ways in which they tie them. I giggled at your cute pic at the end too ;) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever got married I'd need some tuition (if I wanted to cover my hair that is).

      Delete
  6. very interesting and some wonderful scarves, I just think it's a shame women have to cover their hair, that they might attract attention..... if those they might attract could be more modest and respectful then maybe women wouldn't have to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a male power thing actually - the more rules they can impose, the more control they have. There is a whole hierarchy built upon the foundations of people doing what they're told - to ridiculous degrees sometimes. If we were more 'protestant' about it and just concentrated on peace, respect, and loving kindness instead of e.g. if you can eat lettuce in a restaurant because they may not have checked it thoroughly for bugs, there'd be a load of pedants without followers who'd have to find proper jobs.

      Delete