Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Tuesday Tidbits 20: The Raw Truth

1
DD (bringing out the box of biscuits): How many can I have?
Me (joking): Oh as many as you like. Have all of them if you want to.
DD (getting the joke and laughing): Don't be silly. I can't eat all of them or I'll be as fat as a mummy!

2
I've not told DD about the kidnappings in Israel but some of the kids at kindergarten know about it. I'm not sure what she's heard or from whom and I don't want to get into it with her. However....
DD (crying in bed): Mummy I'm scared.
Me: What are you scared about?
DD: I don't want to tell you. You'll say it's silly.
Me: I won't, tell me.
DD: I'm scared someone will come and take me away when I'm asleep.
Me: I've locked the door, no one can get in and I'm here to keep you safe.
Half an hour later.
DD: Mummy, right that our door key only fits our door and everyone else's door key only fits their door?

3
DD (watching The Sound of Music): Right Maria had a problem with her parents so they made her go on holiday for a while?
Me: Not her parents, the nuns at the abbey.
DD: Yes her parents. She called her mother.

4
DD (still watching the film): Mummy can we live in a house like that one day, with lots of children?
Me: Yes one day, if I ever get a job in a boarding school.

10 comments:

  1. I've been following the story of the kidnapping in the papers - it's still getting a fair bit of coverage. It's just desperate, and I can imagine that you really don't want DD to be panicked about it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always amazes me how even the kids at kindergarten talk about what's going on in the news. I guess in such a small country everything is close to home.

      Delete
  2. The first and fourth really made me laugh. Very very funny. I've been laying low this week after a very hectic Britmums! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been reading all the Britmums reports - one day, one day...

      Delete
  3. Aww... she's still so funny and adorable! Awful about the kidnappings and good that she told you her fears. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she's very funny (and adorable of course). And yes, good that she told me. I belong to a group of local mothers on fb and many of us have had similar things with the younger kids (4 - 7 year olds) scared to go to sleep at night. Interesting that these are the ages who've heard something about it at school but the adults aren't talking about it to them. From about 8yo the adults have told the children and discussed it because these kids are old enough to ask directly.

      Delete
  4. Aside from the biscuit incident (which made me chuckle into my coffee this morning - out of the mouth of babes eh?) this really hit home to me how much even the youngest ones can pick up on things like this at school. It's shocking and sad that we live in a world where our smallest are scared to go to sleep at night, not because of some fictitious monster but real ones. Lovely piece x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes I agree. Did you see my reply to Jazzy above? In a way it's partly because we don't talk to them about it I think.

      Delete
  5. Oh bless her. And looking at her photo I can't believe how much she's grown! I remember when my daughter really started thinking about things. It brings up lots of questions. Not always the easiest of times but they get through it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this age when she's really starting to think about things and discuss them with me. As you say, not all subjects are easy to deal with.

      Delete