Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The No Snow Saga 2016

Please excuse the clothes dryer - I brought it in to keep it clean and dry.
We are in the mountains and a freeze-thaw-freeze situation makes our roads treacherous. Add to that the fact that no one is experienced in driving in ice or snow conditions and that the city does not keep road clearing equipment for two days a year (if that). It's safer and cheaper to just shut down for the duration.

However, to understand the actions and reactions and general hysteria in Jerusalem when snow is forecast, you have to go back two years. We had quite a heavy snowstorm that year (heavy for us means about 10cm) and snow tourists flocked in from the centre of the country (they never get snow in Tel Aviv). That year the snow was heavier than usual and many people got trapped in their cars on the highways for up to 24 hours. In the city they had to open up schools to house the stranded snow tourists over the weekend. We were stuck at home for a glorious five days!

So last year they shut the roads early in and out of Jerusalem and closed all public institutions. They weren't taking any chances. In the spirit of not taking any chances, we got three days off school and no snow. It was hilarious.

Obviously this year, as a result of last year, they are not being too premature and even though snow was forecast for last night, they made us wait until 5am this morning before making a decision. The suspense on fb last night was killing me. At 9.30pm my college cancelled today. As this is where I work on Tuesdays it was all over for me at that point. And the snow had started by the time I went to bed at 11.

At 4.30am I woke up and looked outside. There was snow on the cars. I turned off the alarm and went back to sleep.

Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning (at 9.15) and outside was wet but clear. "Is there school today?" asked DD. Me: I don't think so but I'll check on the computer. Of course there was school and fb was full of posts about disappointed children (and teachers) having to be in school at 8am. Woops.

So we are sitting here at the computers - me blogging and DD watching Tangled - and watching the no snow out of the window. It keeps trying to snow. Is it sleet? Is it snow? Is it getting warmer? Is it all over? Probably.


4 comments:

  1. Oh there are certainly similarities between Israel and Ireland when it comes to snow! We can't cope at all either! Our councils do grit the roads. Sometimes. Usually after the event. We don't have the snow 'accessories' when it comes to cars, roads and clothing and it's a virtual shut-down if it's anyway bad. After the bad snow fall in 2010 the Dept of Education issued a new rule: if schools close for any extended period due to snow then it's less school holidays at Easter and Mid-break times! Still in place too as far as I know. And no snow ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd rather give up a few days at other times than have to go out in real snow. I remember slowly battling our way to school in thick snow as a child, only to be sent straight home again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! Hope you get a photo next time lol! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A photo of no snow? I've got photos from previous years so I'll forgo the 4.30 in the morning sprinkling. :)

      Delete