Friday, July 22, 2016

Reasons 2B Cheerful - The First Day

Lazy days of summer
It's 08.45 and the apartment is quiet. Not because DD is at Summer School - that finished yesterday, but because today is the first day of the summer holidays without any framework for DD other than what we decide ourselves.

Last night I finished my work (I have 70 students doing an online summer course who send in papers to be graded and receive feedback) while DD played and watched You Tube. At 10pm I got into bed to read, gently suggesting that DD come too. "Not yet, I'm not ready," was the reply. At 10.20 she joined me in bed and went straight to sleep - not even awake enough to ask for her chapter of Harry Potter.

I read until midnight, not bothering to put on the alarm clock. At 08.00 I got up, made coffee, and graded two papers that had come in overnight. And now I'm finishing my coffee, blogging (for the first time in a fortnight) and enjoying the calm unhurriedness of it all.

We have plans of course. The charts we made a month ago have fallen out of use because DD lost interest in filling them in although she still did her pages of Maths and Hebrew every day at Summer School and at home she did English reading with me. We will be stricter now, especially as I have three days of student tutorials in college next week and DD will have to sit and do those workbooks for some of it.

The recorder playing stalled at note G, having mastered B and A and almost putting them together in one line. However, yesterday DD informed me that she must practise recorder now so that she's not behind in music next year. (She won't be behind as they all start together in 3rd grade but they were told to practise over the holiday so she thinks she'll be behind). I got to the end of the first recorder book btw, but for me it was all revision as I learned all this in 1973!

We have a monthly pass to the local pool, we have the outdoor movie once a week, we have playdates and outings, shopping, cooking, ideas for planting on the balcony.... but for now another coffee I think and then a leisurely shower.

I'm linking up to R2BC at Mummy From The Heart.



8 comments:

  1. Ohh so nice to go to bed when you fancy and wake when you fancy. Today is the last day of school for all three of mine, so I can't wait for next week when we can do the same. I'm a little apprehensive abut the summer as we actually have loads planned and I'm starting to think that is a mistake. Oh well, time will tell. Have a great week, Mich xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always cancel a few things if you find you need time just to chill. Enjoy your first week of freedom too. xxx

      Delete
  2. We started our free range summer by sleeping in today! Just a few times alarm will be needed before September :-)

    Glad they have encouraged her to do the homework. I still have my recorder from the 1970s and did book 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I accept the challenge to do book 2! We will also need the alarm clock a few times but not much. Enjoy your holiday. xxx

      Delete
  3. Coffee and blogging sounds like a lovely start to the summer break, and I'm sure I recognise that recorder book too! Hope the summer continues to be as enjoyable and leisurely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm yes well, today continued to be soooo leisurely that we did practically nothing. I may have to ramp up the leisure a bit or we'll just waste the whole six weeks.

      Delete
  4. Oh how lovely to have those easy mornings. We'e broken up here and are enjoying them too but I have to go to work every other week. Hope you have a wonderful summer together Rachel. Sounds great :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too. Every other week is a good compromise as it gives some structure to the month. We got up at 9.45 this morning so I'm a bit wary of things slipping out of control. I mean there's laid back and there's laid back.

      Delete