Thursday, November 9, 2017

I See Music In Our Future - R2BC

It's that time of the week again and though I've been sick for some of it, there are still reasons 2B cheerful. However, because of the sicky, it's a bit of a recap and an update on things already reported. I've joined the linky over at Michelle's Mummy from the Heart, where us cheerful bloggers share the cheer. 



1
Clarinet
DD had her third clarinet lesson, but the first lesson with the full instrument. Ronit had given her ligature (you see we learned the proper name for it) to her teacher and it worked. She came home all excited and exclaiming, "I can play my clarinet! I can play my clarinet!" What she meant was that she could get a sound out of it. Which is 100% improvement on last week when she couldn't get a sound out of it. So her homework is to practice. I've banished practice sessions to her bedroom with the door shut until she can play a tune. That sounds harsher than it is because I'm actually only thinking of the neighbours. DD's bedroom is the only room in the house that only shares a party wall (including ceilings and floors) with one other neighbour instead of three.

After her lesson, and while she was still excited about it, I put on my CD of Mozart's Clarinet Concerto. The adagio (the middle bit) is possibly my favourite piece of music of all time. DD complained all the way through that it was boring and she wanted to watch Mama Mia.

A clarinet playing friend called after reading my blog post and offered to give DD help with her technique. He also mentioned that his son had taken clarinet to great levels, eventually necessitating them paying 13,000nis (almost 3,000GBP) for a good clarinet. Mama Mia suddenly sounded like a good idea.

2
Sick Days
I was sick on Sunday and Monday and didn't go to school. I went to college on Tuesday (which is entirely different from teaching in primary school - far less energy involved) so I thought I'd better go back to school on Wednesday. However, I had to leave before the last lesson. I came straight home and went to bed. DD had to fend for herself all evening. She foraged about in the fridge and in the larder for food. Evidence the next morning suggested that she ate crisps, biscuits, and ice-cream for supper. I vaguely remember her coming in to ask me a few times and I just said, "I don't mind, you can have what you like, just no cooking."

Good bye old friend. I'm eating the fibre from now on.
The cheerful connection here is that DD was so good and amused herself  until bedtime. She brought me glasses of cool water when I needed them and the phone when it rang. Eventually I saw all the lights going out and a little voice said, "I'm going to bed now. Shall I turn the light out right away or can I do some sudokus in bed?"

She took the magnets only. She didn't want the books. 
3
Sold
I put some items up for sale on our local facebook selling group. I sold the juicer. Research has convinced me that eating the whole fruit or vegetable is better. More fibre and less fructose. I loved the juices. My friend and I used to call them the nectar of the gods. But you have to follow your head in these things.

I also sold a big bag of magnetic letters, numbers and shapes. It all goes to keep some cash in my purse and will pay for my next bus ticket. Every little helps. And that's two fewer clutter items in our home.

4
Recorder
DD and I both enjoyed playing the recorder last weekend. I'm looking forward to a future of recorder duets.




8 comments:

  1. I have one musical child here, only its electric guitar. Although he is currently upstairs trying a keyboard! Good luck and I hope you feel better soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. We also have a keyboard that no one uses at the moment. So maybe that's also in our future. Who knows.

      Delete
  2. hopefully it won't take her long to be tuneful! glad you have recovered. yay to decluttering for cash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - on all accounts. I keep looking around for more things to sell.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear you were poorly but how fab that DD was able to look after you and herself. I hope you have a fab weekend, Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mich. She was a very good girl. And next time I need to make sure I have some yogurts or something healthier that she can find to eat in the fridge. LOL.

      Delete
  4. That does sound like a nasty illness, very scary too, when you are a lone parent, though it sounds like your DD did really well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just a bad head cold and sore throat really, but it saps your energy.

      Delete