Friday, February 22, 2013

Tears On Purim - Again!

Well that went well - NOT. I'm beginning to see a pattern though. The festival of Purim is this weekend. It's the story of the Persian Queen Esther and the Wicked Haman. Just google it, I'm in no mood to elaborate except to say that it's Carnivale, Mardi Gras, a massive costume party and loads of fun. You'd think.

Just to bring you up to speed, this is what happened two years ago which ended in tears. Then this episode which ended in more tears. However, last year was fine and you can see how much fun we had here. So how did it all fall apart again this year just when I thought we were growing up?

DD has already worn her Minnie Mouse costume to kindergarten this week (and I forgot to take a photo) so for the Purim Party today  she chose to be Queen Esther. The choice was Minnie Mouse again, Queen Esther, a fairy (from last year) or a ladybird (we still have the costume from two years ago). She chose Queen Esther.

We've been talking about it all week. She could hardly wait to go to bed last night so she could get up and be Queen Esther this morning. And this morning she ripped off her pjs as I got the fabulous dress out. She stepped into it and POW! "ICKSA I DON'T LIKE THIS DRESS! I DON'T WANT TO BE QUEEN ESTHER! TAKE IT OFF ME!!!

Ok, lets do one of the others. She chose the ladybird. We put it on.
"WHY I HAVEN'T GOT ANY LONG SLEEVES?"
"The gloves have long sleeves."
"I NOT WEARING THOSE GLOVES AND I NOT WEARING THAT THING IN MY HAIR!"
"Ok, just the dress and the wings. Now let me take a photo."
"NO! NO PICTURES!"

I took out my camera anyway. It's a lot of work this festival - you prepare food parcels, have a big festive meal, provide costumes, have the children at home for three days.... And I didn't get a photo of the ladybird two years ago, or Minnie Mouse last week. I wanted my photo. I had accidently left the camera on movie mode so I actually got this:


So then I switched to portrait and got a photo of her running away down the corridor:


Then she came back in a temper and hit me hard on the boobs. It really hurt. So then I burst into tears, obviously, and we both left the house with red eyes and faces.
"WHY DIDN'T YOU BRING MY COAT?!"
"WHY YOU NOT MY FRIEND?"
"I DON'T LIKE PURIM!"
Me: "No me neither at the moment."


As I write this there are joyful songs blaring out from the school opposite like a Communist era park in Eastern Europe. My fb feed is full of photos of everyone's children dressed up and looking happily at the camera. I am trying not to grind my teeth. I used to love Purim.

27 comments:

  1. That sounds like no fun. I hope the day improved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only midday and she's still at kindergarten so I'm hoping too.

      Delete
  2. Don't take it too personally - my 7 year old stayed home since she refused to choose a costume - we have an authentic flamenco dancer dress, an authentic Indian costume, snow white, wedding, medieval princess and none of them suited madame - her older sister was also prepared to make her a costume and I was even prepared to buy a new one in desperation yesterday - but she refused so my wallet stayed in my bag and she stayed home. We just walked down to watch the parade that the older school kids were taking part in - and are now home...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When she's older and can understand that she made the decision I can also let her opt out if she really wants to. But at 4 she might regret being the only one not in costume and I don't want her to feel bad all morning at kindergarten. I reckon as soon as I left she was fine.

      Delete
    2. I meant to say thanks for sharing that - I'll remember in a few years time if we still hate dressing up.

      Delete
    3. One year at kindergarten one of my kids went in normal clothes and took her costume in a bag - the kindergarten teacher persuaded her gently to dress up for the pictures and then she changed back - I think it should be their decision... even from a little age - also if she regrets it, it helps her learn that decisions have consequences.

      Delete
  3. She will be writing complaint letters before you know it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there, done that, but without the tears....with my kids however, its genetic, I hated dressing up for Purim when I was a kid, and am still not crazy about it now
    Once I did what Janice did, after trying and trying I took Oren to gan with his costume in a bag... and he did wear it eventually
    I gave up trying, but don't let it stress you...
    Yesterday, I went to the toy shop on the way home, chose three possible outfits, and then waited there for OVER AN HOUR till Idan came home, so I could call him and see which one he wanted.. and guess what... yes, you guessed it!! None of them...
    In the end my neighbour saved me at the 11th hour, (or rather 7:30 pm) and Idan went to school as a chef, but rushed out of the door before I get grab my camera, and, of course, came home with the costume in a bag!

    some kids love Purim, but I am sure that there are just as many that hate it, but their parents arent as honest as you, and wont admit it!!

    Hag Sameach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, this same ladybird went in the bag two years ago. Hag Sameah to you too.

      Delete
  5. And even worse is the over complicated costume that stops the child functioning ... last year Abi and her best friend went as Indian ladies in authentic sarees I bought for myself - but they were too short for them and they kept falling off and they were really upset. So this year I bought hair chalks and coloured hair extensions and they dressed in matching but zany clothes and they went as crazy twins... no fiddling around trying to hold costume together or itchy costumes to complain about,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never do over complicated costumes - the type you have to take off after the parade because you can't sit down - what's the point?

      Delete
  6. Aron -my middle son never dressed up-he hated the attention it brought him and the way many things felt close to his skin.-until now when he puts on a real dress up as a Firefighter every week.Some kids love it others hate it for many reasons. it's hard when all the other kids seem to be having a good time but DD obviously does not think this is fun. Sorry it started out miserable for both of you...hope when DD comes home you can enjoy the parts of Purim that do not involve dressing up.
    Shabbat shalom and lots of love
    Gilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gilly, the rest of the day has been much better. And of course the teacher said she was fine, happy and joined in everything at kindergaarten.

      Delete
  7. Hmmm.... the cute madam is spreading her wings and testing her boundaries! Growing up for sure! Actually, sounds similar to the teenage years as I'm finding out...sigh!

    Pity you weren't allowed take a proper photo. Looks like she was a very pretty ladybird :-)

    xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry I managed to get a better one later. Silent Sunday maybe :)

      Delete
  8. Oh dear, I sure hope the day has got much better as it progressed. Wishing you a joyful weekend, I want to celebrate Purim, I love the story of Esther.

    Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no!!!! I hope you ended up having a much better day X.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well it had to get better as that was the only direction possible. But, thank you, yes it got much better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! this explains Silent Sunday - poor you.
    I have had this experience - you are not alone, the excitement, the build up and then it all goes t*** up as they say!
    hears! to next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S'okay, we just had a brilliant evening celebrating with friends - DD didn't want to dress up even though I told her all the other children would be dressed up. When we got there she told me, "Some people aren't dressed up, that's why I didn't want to." She was fine and had a great time playing with the other children.

      Delete
  12. Oh no! Hope things only got better from there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter was finding out about Purim at school this week so I let her read your post. This is her thoughts as an 8 year old. " some children just don't like dressing up mum - we are all different "
    Hope you all had a great time after all x

    ReplyDelete
  14. How she is for 8 - I think we have one of the children who don't like dressing up here! Please thank your daughter for me for her insight. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *How wise she is for 8 is what I meant to write.

      Delete