Thursday, November 10, 2011

Gefilte Fish

Recipe ShedThis week's Recipeshed theme is seafood. Well I do fish, but I don't do seafood. And tbh, although I love eating well cooked fish, I don't often cook it myself as I'm a bit scared of it. I have a number of quick things to do with a tin of tuna and I can buy vacuum-packed smoked salmon from the deli along with the best of them. But it's Recipeshed innit? Gotta be something special...

Made into balls


So I thought I'd talk about gefilte fish. The recipe is very approximate because I'm not actually going to make it and neither are you. I have made it in the past. When I worked for a caterer in Jerusalem we made vast quantities of both the Polish (sweet) and the Lithuanian (peppery) kind every week. My mother and all her generation made it regularly. Nowadays most people buy it ready made or in a jar from the Jewish Deli. And the photos are Google Images.


Along with cholent, kugel, tsimmes, and beigels, gefilte fish is a quintessential Jewish food, albeit an unlikely delicacy. A dense doughy concoction of chopped and boiled white fish. Why would we? Well it's tradition innit? Originally a collection of all the leftover bits of white fish (mainly carp), minced up, mixed with breadcrumbs, eggs, salt and pepper, and stuffed into another fish. Gefilte means stuffing in Yiddish - now you know why. Eventually the stuffed fish was left out and the fish stuffing, or gefilte fish, was made into balls or a loaf which is sliced to serve.

This is what you do: mince your white fish with the ingredients mentioned above. Then you form balls and drop them into boiling stock (made with the fish heads, carrots, celery, onions, parsley, salt, and loads of sugar or pepper, depending on your ancestral affiliations - see above). Let it simmer for about two hours. Serve cold with a little carrot hat on each piece. The old joke goes: How do gefilte fish keep their carrot hats on when they're swimming about in the water?

Bought in a jar
And if all this isn't delicious enough, you can leave it in the fridge overnight covered in some of the stock so that the stock cools to an aspic jelly. Either you like the jelly of you don't. Many people discard the stock. I like to reheat it and drink it as a fish consomme - a sort of bouillabaisse if you will.

The traditional condiment is chrain - chopped horseradish, beetroot, white vinegar and sugar. You can see it in the photo of the sliced gefilte fish above. Also best to buy it.

So there you have it - what we and hundreds of other Jewish families serve as an hors d'ouvres for a truly festive meal. And... we love it!

14 comments:

  1. I'm a bit lost for words, given that I'm allergic to fish, but just want to say thanks for taking the trouble to post this. Next week's theme might be up both our streets a bit more: ROASTS

    ReplyDelete
  2. An entirely appropriate comment Keith - under the circumstances :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, truly educational and right up my street! My Polish Grandfather was always doing recipes with fish,some really unusual, and I wonder whether this inspired my liking for it. I have wondered before what gefilte fish actually is, so thank you for enlightening me!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Anton - I aim to please :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had a loaf sitting in my freezer since before Passover and I can't even get around to boiling it. Got to do that, maybe tonight. I grew up with the jarred kind and I don't like it - once in a while I find a jar in my fridge and realize my parents have stopped by for a visit - I find it kind of jarring...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tesyaa - tell me you made that gefilte fish loaf yourself and I will be well impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No - frozen store bought loaves are very common in the NYC area - you can even buy them in many regular supermarkets.

    My husband's grandmother used to make gefilte fish from scratch though - is that impressive enough? Or did everyone's grandmother?

    ReplyDelete
  8. MOst of our grandmothers and even our mothers (if you are old enough) did - doesn't make it any less impressive though :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks really palatable and sumptuous! It's all in the preparation,and presentation. I am a spicy one so I love it the peppery way.

    Nice share!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Genie you are right - so I've editted out the bit about the fatty bony fish to make it more palatable-sounding.

    And I also go for the savoury :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love fish. Sounds delightful, even more so as I'm trying to eat a little less nowadays (I'm prone to piggish tendencies.) It certainly made my tummy rumble.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lins - I won;t suggest that you make it but if you evcer come across it in a shop it's worth a try. You love Marmite so you're not going to be put off by a lit of gefilte fish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post. Great to read about different cultural ways of eating food. That is the wonder of linking blogs from around the world!
    ps I do hope you get a chance to make a carrto based recipe for my one ingredient challenge too... ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Working London Mummy - I'd forgotten about your one ingredient challenge and I did want to enter so I'm coming over now to check it out.

    ReplyDelete