Sunday, August 11, 2013

Richard lll In Motion

This evening we went to see Theater in the Rough's Richard lll In Motion. I was a little unsure about taking my 4yo to see a two hour Shakespeare - and not one with the easiest or nicest of plots. I'm still not sure what exactly happened there tbh. However one friend already said that her 4yo twins were enthralled for the entire two hours so we packed a picnic and went. DD was fascinated from start to finish, as was her 4yo friend who we met there.



It was an excellent performance. Richard lll was indeed a villain but a humorous one and entirely convincing, as were all of the cast. The in motion aspect meant that we moved around the park from location to location following the action. And as we walked, the actors walked with us, playing out scenes en route as if we were all part of the play. This culminated in the entire audience of about 100 people charging into battle for the final scene.



Half way through, DD whispered to me: I love this. (I kvelled). We were so engrossed we didn't have time for our picnic so we brought it home with us and ate it off the coffee table.



We're already looking forward to next year.

16 comments:

  1. I'm a strong believer in their being nothing like live Theatre - and Theatre in the open air is quite enchanting.

    Your girl has the hugest, most gorgeous brown eyes....ever!!

    xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that it was great for her. Until now I'd thought she was too young. And thank you about the eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the costume manager for the play. Thank you for the cute story and all the praise!! I'm so glad your daughter loved it!! Theater should be started at a young age, who knows what kind of arts funding schools have now-a-days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The costumes were great. I loved the technical whimsy - very clever and effective. I think we're very lucky in Jerusalem as there are a number of choices for high-schools specializing in the arts. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. I saw it also!!
    It was fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks BLOWN AWAY bless her.
    I have seen far too much Shakepspeare for my liking LOL.
    I love ones with a modern twist.
    Aaron has seen theatre a few times (mostly panto) and like her, he is taken in and hooked from start to finish even when he was as young as two. He always fidgets less than the older ones.
    Liska xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all so new to them I think. DD had never seen anything like it before.

      Delete
  6. wow this looks great , how brilliant to be included in the action a great way for children to learn about history

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. Although it's Shakespeare's interpretation of history and apparently Richard wasn't such a villain as he is portrayed, the whole concept of Shakespeare, the costumes and outdoor theatre is an education in itself.

      Delete
  7. She looks totally engrossed :) Staging Shakespeare for everyone like this is just a brilliant idea :)

    ReplyDelete