Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Last Holiday Hurrah?

So last week we had a long weekend by the sea in Netanya (I forgot my camera), went to the Library Ice-Cream Party in the park (also no camera) and bought pizza for supper on the way home (couldn't face cooking), and got the OPV against being carriers of polio (two drops on the tongue, DD: "it tastes like lemon!"). We wimped out of the Kite Festival at the Israel Museum and we thought Moonlight Movies had finished until I found DD watching it from her bedroom window.

I'm more than ready for kindergarten to start but not so ready to go back to school myself - I rather like the lazy get up when you please sort of life. On the other hand, I'm beginning to feel slothful and, if the truth be known, a bit bored. In short, I've wound down and now I'm flaking out.

When I was a child my mother's friend used to organize The Last Hurrah of the summer holidays. I remember a picnic in Cassiobury Park one year when we were very young and a Concert at Kenwood, also with a picnic, when we were older. Last year my friend in London posted pictures on fb of her "End of Summer" garden party.

It's too hot here to go out between 10am and 5pm (well for us wimps anyway). We are wandering around the apartment aimlessly and wondering how to fill the final day of too much freedom. DD has played all her games, I've made my work action list but it's a waste trying to start it whilst hanging out with a 4yo.

Suddenly I notice DD scratching her head. Yippee, something to do! I get out the lice comb and the hair conditioner. Now that's something I don't remember happening in London. Sorry no pictures - can't be bothered.

What was your Last Hurrah of the holidays?

16 comments:

  1. Oh G-d, that would make a great essay, what I did on my summer vacation: I got the oral polio vaccine and then got checked for lice. At least you had a weekend at the beach, that never worked out for us this August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we had another weekend on a kibbutz and a few pool days so we didn't do too badly. It was all just that tiny bit too long for my liking.

      Delete
  2. Yesterday I said to my daughters (16 and nearly 13) "Well, just a day and a half left, what where would you like me to take you?" The answer was basically - nowhere! While it is nice not to have the pressure of how to amuse your kids for two months, it seems I have become totally dispensable as a holiday companion. Of course from tomorrow I am back in action making sandwiches at 6 in the morning - it seems that they do still need me after all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There must be a fine line between totally hands on 24/7 and superfluous. It probably lasts about one year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sadly think our last hurrah may just have been today. We had an AMAZING day at Willows Farm Village. I just uploaded nearly 300 photos (from just today) to Facebook.
    Aaron starts nursery this September but when they rung me and then wrote to me they confirmed the hours, days but not the date!!!
    Couldn't ring last 2 weeks as they were closed and today was Bank Holiday Monday.
    No idea when he starts but depending on the answer today may just have been the last hurrah - makes me dead sad.
    Great post and slothful = me!
    Liska xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always admire how you enjoy doing things with Aaron and never seem to get bored.

      Delete
  5. I like to take my three boys to a beach about 40 mins away from here at the end of the summer holidays. There's no chance to go in the sea there, but we play on the sand, eat ice-cream and have a donkey ride. I love it. But it's so sad that the summer holidays are nearly over. They're not long enough! Sounds like you had a good week, hope the back to school time goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back to school has gone well so far for DD. I start on Sunday - Yikes!

      Delete
  6. Our summer holiday has gone really quickly because we've had so much to do! I must admit, I've been getting up a bit later than usual but I'm still out of bed by 7am.

    Too hot - oooh, I'd love it!

    CJ x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - 7 is later than usual?! My respect has no bounds.

      Delete
  7. Wow, such an exciting end to your summer!! I do like that idea of a last hurrah. Ours was a last minute decision to get a takeaway for dinner. Just a step or two up from lice-chasing!

    xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we hadn't have had the excitement of checking for lice, I suspect we may have resorted to a take-away. Folding laundry was also a solid fall-back if nothing else came up.

      Delete
  8. No last hurrah for us I'm afraid although the summer break has been good as the weather has been mostly warm & dry here in the UK. We normally have to find things to do indoors as the rain always comes for the school holidays!
    Good luck with the nit comb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I used it on both of us and the scratching (hers - I wasn't scratching) seems to have stopped.)

      Delete
  9. Oh dear I don't suppose lice is how you were hoping to end the summer. I have never heard of a last hurrah before, it is a nice idea. But to be honnest my kids have had so much excitement this summer they need to just chill out a bit! Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may adopt that line - we just needed to chill out too! :)

      Delete