Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Summer 2015 R.I.P.



The summer passed. It was an excrutiatingly hot one. There were weeks when we hardly left home. I shopped online and we ate out of the freezer (only just resisting the urge to eat actually sitting in the freezer). All my summer plans were fogotten - daily homework and reading practice so that everything learned in First Grade would not be forgotten (the chart on the fridge is largely unchecked), learning the recorder, going places and seeing things..... In the end we spent a great deal of time on laptops and/or tablets just getting though the hours.

There were attempts at arts and crafts. I bought a container and filled it with art supplies (I enjoyed that bit). Then I freaked out every time DD got stuck into crafting (which she loves) and got plasticine all over the table, the floor, in different rooms, the beds.... I have signed her up for an art class this coming year, 1 1/2 hours of arts and crafts after school once a week. With this and art during school I am firmly banishing arts and crafts from inside the house until DD is old enough to clean up afterwards. In my defence I want to emphasize that our small apartment has one dining table in the dining-room area. It's not like we have a crafting area in the conservatory or a rec room (wreck room?).

Poser much
We did go to the pool and had our annual mini-break on our friends' kibbutz in the south. We also extended our now annual camping trip to 3 days/2 nights instead of just an overnight. And after last year's fiasco experience, we upgraded to a challet in the Galillee rather than a tent on the beach. The holiday was great - another blog post though.

DD had two piano lessons to see if she was ready to commit to lessons for the whole of next year. We decided she wasn't quite ready.

This is not our piano

We made friends with two new families who have moved into the area from the US and are going to our school. My sister and nephew came for a few days. I went to a wedding and was pleasantly surprised when two people asked my why I wasn't blogging and said they missed my posts. Two months at home and only two blog posts should indicate how lethargic this summer became. We ordered far too many pizzas.

I did facilitate an online English course which was a lot of screen time - the one productive summer activity. However, I don't get paid for it until the end of September so no celebrations yet.

C'est tout. No looking back. Best not to dwell on it. Next year is another summer. Etc... We will try again next year and aim to do better.


13 comments:

  1. It really gets easier as they get older.
    I totally get the mess bit, I also sent mine to art hugim, not consciously because of the mess, but because I am not particularly artistic and felt they would learn more from someone else. However, my annual pre-succot freaking out over the mess they made when making decorations points to my difficulty with glitter alover the lounge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember trying to create works of art with costume jewllery on trays because I didn't have any arts and crafts materials - or we weren't encouraged to use them. I now recognise that there was a need to create and I had no outlet for it. This is my reason for the art class, and that DD does seem to have a natural talent for drawing that I did not have.

      Delete
  2. Every family home should have a 'wreck' room I think, great idea! Besides that, I missed your posts too, it sounds as though the heat took its toll in every way, hopefully next year will be a bit cooler xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for missing me Candi. It was a particularly hot summer, even the DMOnilne reported the 'Heat Dome over the Middle East'. The last one like this was in 2010 and I remember suffering through that one too. The summers in between have been much easier. It's amazing how a few degrees makes such a big difference.

      Delete
  3. We didn't have the heat as an excuse but I felt very lethargic over the school holidays too. I hear you on the arts and crafts. Both my two make an inordinate amount of mess with just one pen! I have good intentions and Katie and I bought some adult colouring books which we did some colouring in but that was about it. We had lots of rain to contend with which is awful here because the inky options (other than arts and crafts) are soft play centres which get so busy they can feel like hell on earth. We paid for violin lessons last year and I think Katie practiced twice so you're wise to assess commitment before forking out for lessons.

    Anyway welcome back. I've not blogged much lately really. I almost can't be bothered unless something really focuses my attention. I hope it cools down there soon. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I do better with a set routine. This days of no obligations or structure feed my inner laziness and we end up just hanging out for weeks on end. Of course now that we're back at school I miss it already.

      Delete
  4. You sound as if you had as much indoors time as we did. And you match me on the lack of blogging over Summer. Oh I had so so many reasons not to blog. Lethargy, pregnancy, broken camera, broken laptop, watching too many movies on True Movies, and the list goes on. Lovely to catch up with you, and sounds like you did some great things in the Summer despite the time also spent at home. Lovely to be back in touch, Big hugs
    Liska xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belive me, the heat is as restrictive as the rain. I'm also glad we're both back in the blogosphere and catching up. xxx

      Delete
  5. I see I wasn't the only one who missed your blogs.! Lovely to have you back! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicola. I do intend to be back. I hope I am back but it's only one post so far this month, LOL.

      Delete
    2. A new one today already and there's still 20+ days to go. I'm feeling good about it for you. xo

      Delete
    3. :) Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am actually feeling that bloggy enthusiasm coming back.

      Delete