Thursday, June 28, 2018

Made It To The Finish Line - R2BC

Random photo of a fun sculpture, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem
A quick Reasons 2B Cheerful this week as it's been a tough month. The heat and the end of the school/college year was grueling. I could deal with each of them individually but both together was a challenge.

I have to admit that two of my favourite  things about being a teacher in Israel are July and August.

I know that it's hell for many parents who have to juggle childcare and pay thousands of shekels for summer camps. I acknowledge that the system that encourages us to have big families does not allow for stay at home mothers or give enough holidays to cover the school breaks. And this is most difficult for single parent families and those without active grandparents.

On the other hand, I accept that even with two degrees, my teaching salary does not reach to the end of the month. There are ways of making ends meet of course - if you take on more responsibilities at school or have side hustles. I have freelance writing work on the side (but not under the table in case the taxman is reading this) but I still only scrape the national average salary. All worth it for school holidays.

It's swings and roundabouts but I chose the swings and I'm looking forward to two months of playing like a lady who lunches (apart from my online college summer course).

That's it. I'm too tired to continue with this tonight. I'm letting go of the fact that I only wrote four blog posts in June. It is what it is and I'll be back with a vengeance on Sunday, with coffee, probably in my pyjamas, with nowhere to go and nothing to do (not 100% true but in theory).

Happy Holidays!

I'm on the laid-back linky with Becky's Lakes Single Mum. And relax.

4 comments:

  1. I am a supply teacher so yes I love long breaks with my kids but boy could I do with more money! Enjoy the more relaxed summer for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm working on the premise that more time means more ways to save money and less impulse buying due to stress and exhaustion. We'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  2. Happy holidays, I'm glad you've made the end of term and sorry June has been a tough month. It has been crazy busy here too and I've kept meaning to join in with R2BC and then haven't made it. Its a sad state! Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much globetrotting eh? Looking forward to having you back on the linky and have a wonderful weekend. xxx

      Delete