Saturday, April 4, 2020

The Show Must Go On!

A quick post for whoever hasn't heard that Andrew Lloyd Weber with Universal is giving us a night of musical theatre every week. On Friday evenings at 7 pm BST (9pm Israel time) a movie of one of his musicals will be available on You Tube. Search: THE SHOW MUST GO ON. This week was Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat. You can still watch it until Sunday night. (Tomorrow is Sunday for those who've lost all track of time.)

We watched it tonight after Shabbat. It was so clever how they staged it as a school production because, of course that's how we were all introduced to Joseph back in the 1970s.

The cherry on the cake was Donny Osmond playing Joseph. They called it puppy love, but I had a poster of him in my bedroom way back when. Richard Attenborough as Jacob was fun to spot. And when Potiphar's wife appeared I thought, "doesn't she look like Joan Collins?" In fact it was Joan Collins.

DD was surprised by Joseph's character at the beginning: "Wow, he's so arrogant. That's not what they said about him in Bible lessons at school.

She got a kick out of Pharoah: "He sounds like that old rock and roll singer."
Me: "Elvis Presley."
DD; "Yeah him."
Me: "He's supposed to. That's the point."

I did see her giggle when Joseph told Pharoah, "All those things you saw in your pyjamas, Were a long range forecast for your farmers."

But when they sang, Those Canaan Days... DD: "Why do they all sound French?"
Me: *sigh*

Anyway, I loved it. I sang along to the whole show. I remembered every line and every harmony. Every bap shwaddywaddy and every ahh-a-a. Finally it came to an end. I was still singing, "May I return, to the beginning." DD said, "Can I go now?"
Me: *sigh*


8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the reminder about this. I shall watch like you and, no doubt, also remember every world. Good fun at this awful time. Take care and keep well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. It really did lift my spirits. My heart is still singing.

      Delete
  2. So much good stuff up online, worth staying home for *wink*
    The National Theatre is streaming a different play from Thursday each week. At the moment it's "One Man, Two Guvnors" starring James Cordon. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try that tomorrow, thanks. I'm not going to want to go back to work after this.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the reminder, I'd seen it online and then thought I'd missed it as I didn't realise it was available for a couple of days. That's my Sunday afternoon sorted now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw it years ago with 2 friends - the two Protestants (who went to Sunday School) had to explain the story to the Catholic! :-) It was a lot of fun. We are getting "Jesus Christ Superstar" tonight - its being shown on TV as the start of Holy Week.
    They are certainly coming up with innovative ways to keep us inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesus Christ Superstar is on next week (for Easter). I'm looking forward to it already.

      Delete