Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Leap Of Faith


The prompt for this week's 100 word (not including the prompt) challenge is, appropriately, in honour of the leap day in this leap year. The piece must be connected to the theme:

A leap of faith.

After you've read mine (and I invite you to leave a comment), pop over to Julia's Place to find the other entries.



A Leap Of Faith.

She hadn't noticed the date when she'd invited him to lunch. They were on mid-semester break, exams graded, and with a few days to chill.

She'd only realised that morning. She needn't be a social historian to know the significance, the implications. He, on the other hand, was a geeky bachelor from Sciences. He'd be oblivious.

Ten years of exchanging, 'Morning!' in the university carpark. The odd conversation at various annual events. There may've been one dance at a Christmas party once, or was that a dream?

But he would be here in her flat on February 29th. It would require a leap of faith.

22 comments:

  1. Rachel - I LOVE this! It's really sad, but with that slight promise of hope. It actually brought a lump to my throat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks S-J, I know what you mean. I wonder if it ever works?

      Delete
  2. Awesome story :) So topical as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Han - how could I not acknowledge the Leap Day? It would have been quite rude.

      Delete
  3. Hope is a wonderful thing! a lovely post x but unrequited love can be heart breaking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having experienced both, I agree with your whole comment :)

      Delete
  4. That's brilliant. Such a challenging theme this week (I thought) and so neatly accomplished. But what I need to know is Did She? And Did He?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of this as I had invited a male friend (of 10 years standing) to lunch today. However, as I had loads of work to do he generously allowed me to cancel at the last minute. Fyi - I had no intention of using the date for any ulterior motives.

      Delete
  5. Awww.. Hope she leaps. I bet he'll say yes. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as the fiction goes - I hope you're right.

      Delete
  6. Beautifully written and lovely story (I didn't know the tradition but realised that I was missing something so googled) (Do u want to meet up for lunch on Sunday instead?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherrie - glad to enlighten you (with the help of google of course). Let's speak over the weekend.

      Delete
  7. What a great story, I love this x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent! I really enjoyed this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed this. It says so much in just 100 words, and you really can't second-guess what might have happened next. Sad, but very true to life. You almost have to hope nothing comes of it because if nothing has happened in all those years, then maybe it isn't going to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking like that will get you nowhere. On the other hand, you have a good point.

      Delete
  10. GSussex
    Enjoyed your post. I'm hoping for a part 2! I am keen to know if things 'bloom' or not!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha! Love it, but I'm left wondering that although he's a geek maybe 29th Feb isn't lost on him....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right - who knows what romantic dreams go on in the mind of a geek. :)

      Delete