Friday, March 23, 2012

#ArtIHeart 5 - Camping In The Wye Valley

Art I Heart
Share the art you love from your walls, a birthday card, what your child drew at school, that you saw in The National Gallery in London...

1. Choose one piece of art that has a short personal story behind it. It could be something on your wall, something you've seen in a gallery and love, homedrawn, on a postcard, on a birthday card, something by Degas or something by your DS.

2. Take a photograph, scan or download a picture of your picture and post it along with the short story about why you are drawn to it, have it on your wall, bought it, or hate it. Don't forget to link back to the linky so your readers can see the other entries.

3. Link up (it's open till next Thursday, 4pm GMT), leave a comment, et voila!

Here's mine:



It's a photgraph, yes, but it's actually a printed copy of a photograph. Years ago my then flatmate, D, bought me a calendar as a present from her trip to England over the Christmas holidays. It had a photo of a pretty English scene for each month. This one was June. I'd forgotten this fact but for the information I found on the back of the frame when I took it down to photograph. I had written: River Avon, Warwichshire; Photo by Simon McBride; July 1990. I'm very impressed with my 27yo self for doing that.

I loved this scene from the moment I saw it. It reminded me of camping trips in the Wye Valley in the mid-1970s. The crisp air of early morning, a slight mist even in summer and the damp dew-covered grass soaking my flip-flopped feet. I could alsmost feel it. In July it was time to turn over to the next page which could have been York Cathedral or a London Bus - I have no idea. I tore out the page and took it straight to the framer. D was thrilled that I'd loved it enough to have it framed.

I still love it and it hangs by the door in my spudy (spare-room/study). I am not at all a hoarder so this goes to show that some of my happiest memories are tied up with the art on my walls. Art I Heart is truly turning out to be trip down memory lane.

10 comments:

  1. That it a stunning photo. Very evocative. I love the softness of the print. English Summer mornings can be so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually much sharper but I think I held the camera too close. I've learned that it's not easy to photograph a picture under glass. Also it's a greeny colour in real life but my camera never gegts the colours as vivid and vibrant. Maybe I should play with the settings next time.

      Delete
  2. We are so going to have to talk! I want to know all about your camping trips to the Wye Valley - that's the part of Wales where I grew up! And yes I remember many misty mornings just like that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went a few times - once with the guides and scouts, once with a Jewish youth group, and once on an adventure holiday. I also went camping in Wales with my parents a few times. I have very fond memories of Wales as my cousins used to live in Cardiff and then Swansea. About the camping - I think we must have visited every castle in Wales. After the first one I couldn't see the point but my parents seemed to like them.

      Delete
  3. A beautiful picture of a beautiful part of England! Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a particular type of beauty which I miss. A softer beauty than you find further East.

      Delete
  4. How fab that your artheart series is being such a nice trip down memory lane.

    Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is and, last night I found out that it does make a difference if you change the settings on your camera - who knew?

      Delete
  5. I used to have a print of Degas' The Ballet Class on my wall when I was a child. I came across the real one when we visited Paris a few years ago. I was overcome by a wonderful feeling of happiness and nostalgia. It was quite unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it amazing how our senses seem to be containers of such strong memory impulses - whether it be sight, smell, music or taste.

    ReplyDelete