Tuesday, June 20, 2017

DD Published In Kids Read

Warning: this is a completely 'proud mum' post. If you're not in the mood for my kvelling, go away and come back later.

There is an annual magazine published in Israel called Kids Read. It accepts English writing in response to books and poems that kids have read.

I am actually on the publishing committee but since I'm not available for evening meetings atm my role is restricted to proof reading. I am not on the selection committee. And all the entries are selected anonymously. This is significant to mention because DD has a piece in this year's Bar Mitzvah Edition (i.e. the 13th edition).

The pieces are sent in by teachers up and down the country and throughout the year and Kids Read comes out in June. I knew DD's piece about the book Stone Fox (she wrote a short epilogue to the story) had been chosen because I proof read the final copy before it went to print. However, it was lovely to receive an email from her teacher, Karen, telling us and inviting us to the launch party.

DD and Karen, her English teacher

Last week we went to the launch party. DD loved it. Some of the committee performed some funny poems about reading which DD thought was hilarious. There was a new prize presented in the name of one of the founding committee members, Lynda Waxman, who sadly passed away earlier this year. After that some of the children read out their entries and DD had an opinion about each one. She also said that she'd like to read next year if she's chosen again.



The highlight of the evening was when each child's name was read out and they went up to the stage to be presented with their own copy of Kids Read. It was like a degree graduation and I was about as proud as if DD had got a Ph.D.

When we got home DD took Kids Read to bed with her and read some of the entries. She particularly liked poring over the pictures of all the book covers from each book or poem that is written about. It has remained beside her bed for browsing and of course for reading her own piece again when she wants to relive her glorious moment. Which she does quite often, LOL.


18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. We joked that she could write that first book before I do. Not such a big joke actually.

      Delete
    2. Mazeltov Rachel and DD! I'm kvelling with you. I look forward to the day when I have two books on my shelf where both of you are published. :-) Nicola

      Delete
  2. How lovely, well done to DD, and just the start of her writing career I'm betting xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a mom and grandmother, a (retired) teacher, and a (now) homeschool teacher to my granddaughters, I understand perfectly your pride in your daughter and her accomplishment!
    Myra, from Winnipeg, Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Myra. My pride is out of all proportion of course but who cares. xxx

      Delete
  4. Excellent, you both deserve to be proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a week later and we both still are. :)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations to DD - and she is looking very grown up in those photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I know - I keep comparing the photo of her walking off the stage with the little face in the profile picture.

      Delete
  6. Such a good feeling when our children are recognized for their academic abilities. It's ALWAYS okay to kvell. Mazal tov!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, especially as we're not sporty, crafty or particularly musical. Our only hope is academia. LOL.

      Delete
  7. Huge congratulations to her!!! I love celebratory posts like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's brilliant! What a great achievement. Also cannot believe how grown up she looks here! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And me neither. Her friend just turned up to play and I was startled that she walked herself. I was expecting to see the mother at the door with her.

      Delete