Sunday, June 4, 2017

Away For Shabbat And Other R2BC

We didn't do R2BC last week because of the terror in Manchester. Yesterday there was more terror in London. I love London and I am very very angry and very very sad. Here are a few Reasons 2B Cheerful even though there are those who are terrorizing the civilized world and the civilized world has not yet decided how they are going to deal with it. I hope they come up with a plan before there is more suffering and heartbreak.

1
Away for Shabbat
We went to the seaside in Netanya to stay with my cousins. Though they do live right on the front we are not beach people especially and preferred to watch the sea rather than be in it. You don't have to splash about in it to be hypnotized by the beauty of the sea. And every so often I find myself thinking in wonder, that's the Mediterranean and I live near it.

So we didn't descend to the beach but we did make full use of the pool. And we met, bumped into, and visited with all sorts of lovely people  - old friends and new.

2
Chronicles of Narnia
We finished The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and now we are nearing the end of The Magician's Nephew. I'd forgotten quite how much the birth of Narnia and Aslan echo themes in the Old and New Testament. I've never got further than the first couple of books before but now I hope DD wants to continue with the series. I am intrigued as to how far the religious allegory is taken.

3
Fidget Spinner
If there was one thing I knew about them, it was that I was never going to buy one for my daughter. Even though most of her friends have one (Why? They are not all ADD?). Firstly, I don't understand the attraction. You spin it. And then you spin it some more. Secondly, teachers hate them. Whilst the kid with real ADD problems might be helped to stay in his seat, he is not focusing on his work or the lesson but focusing on the spinner. And meanwhile all the kids around him are distracted by it. I tell my students - If I see it I take it until the end of the lesson.

So we get to Netanya and my cousin has very kindly bought DD a bunch of small gifts and games to amuse her during Shabbat. By far the most used was the spinner. I say used, but actually she just fidgeted with it. The other major thing you do with it is try to get it out from under the sofa when it spins off your fingers. All good fun I suppose when you're 8 1/2.

DD has taken the fidget spinner to school today. I'm opening a book. Even favourites on lost or confiscated.

That's all for the past week. I'm linking this post to reasons 2B Cheerful which is back with Becky on Lakes Single Mum for this week. The coming week is full of more report writing, and planning and organising the end of year lessons and events. See you on the flip side.



10 comments:

  1. Beautiful sea picture and I hope you'll share what happens with the spinner! Have a good and not too busy week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, the spinner came home. Disclaimer - I didn't take this photo, my cousin sent it to me as my photos weren't nearly as good.

      Delete
  2. The sea is so calming. My kids have spinners but only allowed them at home! Thanks for joining in x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, I could sit and just look at it for hours. And thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  3. And PS I love all the Narnia series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like The Magician's Nephew better than The Lion, witch, Wardrobe. After that I got fed up with more quests and battles. But i was young. I'll see if I find something deeper in them as an adult.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful photograph. Sounds like a busy week for you all, and plenty to be cheerful about too. The fidget spinner craze is a baffling one isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I absolutely don't get the fidget spinner.

      Delete
  5. My kids bought themselves a fidget spinner on holiday, I wouldn't have bought them either. No taking them to school though. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how they all have to have one. I don't get it. I really don't see the attraction. After a minute of spinning it's not even fun.

      Delete