Friday, March 27, 2015

Pre-Pesach Leftovers Recipe

At Pesach time we run down all the food we have in the house. You can keep sealed packets and frozen stuff but I like to use up all the open packets. We start using things up a few weeks before and it's a nice feeling to know that all the storage jars get washed out at least once a year. :~)

What do you think these are?



They are everything I had opened in jars in my food cupboard, fridge and freezer, made into rissoles and a kugel.

2 cups of polenta
1 1/2 cups of red lentils (soaked)
1 cup or orzo (cooked)
1/2 cup of  porridge oats
1 onion chopped
Half a bag of frozen broccoli
1/4 bag frozen spinach
About 100g of butter
Some cooking oil
Salt
pepper
curry powder
2 eggs
2 cups of milk

Saute the onion in the butter, cook the orzo, cook the broccoli, thaw the spinach and drain, mix it all together.

Pour into a well oiled dish and bake for about an hour until done for the kugel. Here is the kugel. Cut it into squares and serve with salad.



Make the leftover mixture into small patties and fry. Also serve with a salad, with or without ketchup.


8 comments:

  1. Nice idea - I think I will try it with a slightly different version of my left overs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your photos on fb - I'm impressed and flattered to have inspired you. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even know what a kugel is but it certainly looks like a good and relatively healthy way to use up leftovers! I hate having to throw food out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kugel is anything baked in the oven with flour and eggs to bind it. It can be sweet or savoury. It's cheap, filling, and quick to make.

      Delete
  4. Ohh yum they look really tasty. I've never used eveything up in te cupboard, I should go for it and try and challenge. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do it every year as part of the Passover preparations. It's kind of fun to rise to the challenge and to wash all the storage jars.

      Delete
  5. Hi sorry to sound daft but where /when do I add polenta, egg, curry powder etc please. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not daft - it's not clear. When you have cooked the things that need pre-cooking like the broccoli or onions, add all the ingredients together and mix it all up.

      Delete