Monday, September 4, 2017

Happy Berefty Or Tomorrow Is Another Day

Random Birthday cake from a previous year.
Today is my birthday. Two years ago I tried to celebrate my birthday with DD and it was a disaster. And last year wasn't much better.

Today was only the second day of school and I had to meet three new classes. It was my first long day. It was hot and very humid outside. I didn't expect much from today.

Last night after our first full days back at school, DD and I both went to bed before 8 pm and were asleep within 10 minutes. Consequently I woke up at 5.30 this morning. I forgot it was my birthday. I did the dishes in the sink from the night before, showered and dressed, and made myself a cup of coffee. Meanwhile two good friends Whatsapped me with birthday greetings and I remembered (obviously).

I opened facebook before checking my emails, just in case some birthday wishes had come through. Nothing. Otoh, it was only 6.30 in the morning and 4.30 in England, so I wasn't too surprised. My cousin in London had sent me a Happy Birthday email with an attachment I couldn't open. But it's the thought that counts. I did expect to see all the facebook greetings when I came home from work though.

I didn't mention my birthday at work. Seriously, it's a school on the second day of lessons. Everyone is a bit crazy and confused as all the classes have gone up a year and changed names, and the classrooms have been swapped around. We also have a temporary timetable until October while they iron out the kinks. (I wish they'd have said before I copied mine into my new diary in ink.) I only remembered every time I wrote the date on the board at the beginning of each class.

I arrived home, after picking up DD on the way, hot, bothered and exhausted. There were some more whatsapp messages from people who know. DD had her now regular meltdown (well regular since yesterday) as a result of being hot, bothered and exhausted. I quickly prepared a snack for her and poured us both long drinks of cool water. Then I turned on facebook and...... one direct message from an old friend saying, "Facebook didn't let me know me but I remembered anyway - Happy Birthday!"

What?! Facebook didn't tell you? How could that be?

I always wish friends and even 'friends' a happy birthday on facebook. I'm the first to say that the birthday greetings is one of the nicest things facebook does. People always post comments after their birthday thanking friends for the greeting and saying how touched they were. I've loved it in previous years.

For two seconds I considered rushing over to my profile or my settings or wherever it is, and checking. But then I decided not to. Those who know know and if they want to send a greeting they can. How much is it really worth when you merely type 'Happy Birthday xxx' because the notice is there? It's a nice gesture. I like nice gestures but I don't need them.

DD finally stopped shouting at me about how she wants pizza and why can't she order it from her own pocket money? She's drawing. "Are you making me a birthday card?"
"No, why should I when you won't let me have pizza and all I want is pizza!?"

Happy berefty momey
Then minutes later I got this delivered into my lap with a kiss and a cuddle. So I'm not quite as "berefty" as I was 10 minutes ago.

I'm going to make sausages and chips for supper. And later I'll do some grading. I should clean the bathroom. Nothing has changed. I don't feel any different, not even older. And tomorrow is another day.



14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Jax, I'm still up for the challenge even though I missed yesterday. xxx

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to a fellow Virgo (mine is the 16th) - and no matter how old we are - it's always nice to be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and true. All I really want on my birthday is for a few people to wish me Happy Birthday and for it not to be completely forgotten. xxx

      Delete
  3. A very happy belated berefty to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that berefties are going to become a 'thing'. Thank you. x

      Delete
  4. Happy Berefty darling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated birthday wishes.
    Next year be shameless and start hinting a week before lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I could be like the shops before Christmas and start hinting in May.

      Delete
  6. Ohh bless you, I remember sulking for a day about 4 years ago and then I realised I didn't have my birthday as public info on FB and that was why no-one had wished me a happy birthday. I was very mifted! Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went ballistic with them about 7 years ago when they suddenly suspended me for a week just before my birthday - for no reason. They put me back just in time! Now the novelty has worn off.

      Delete