Saturday, August 31, 2019

R2BC - End Of Summer

I once wrote a blog post about why you have to go away during the summer and how you can do it without spending a fortune. I wrote it when DD was 4 1/2 but it's still relevant for older kids. We were coming to the end of nine weeks of school break for DD and although I've been working steadily on online summer courses and prep for next year (supposedly), we were beginning to feel like we'd done nothing. Because we have a family wedding in London in the autumn, I regarded that as our holiday and didn't organize anything for the summer (apart from some days out). However, re-reading that blog post, I decided to cobble together a summer holiday.

It started out with a trip to my happy place - my friends' kibbutz in the south. We traveled down on the Thursday afternoon for a wedding celebration that evening. On the Friday we hung out at the pool with friends and then we stayed for a full Shabbat of after-celebration, known as the Groom's Shabbat. It involves a lot of eating, drinking, chatting, singing, silly games, and some dancing. And it was all wonderful.

We returned to Jerusalem in time to do our laundry before heading off again in the other direction - to Acre in the north. My friend and her son, whom we often go away with for short breaks (see Independence Day Holiday for example), found a reasonable deal on two nights in a hotel on the beach, with a pool. We've been to Acre before but it was four years ago. The kids were younger and we happened to go on a day that was so hot we couldn't enjoy it as much as we'd have liked to.

This time the weather was perfect. We arrived at midday and the kids spent a couple of hours in the pool. Then we got our rooms, unpacked and rested for a while before heading into Acre. We went on a thrilling motor boat ride, surfing the waves swell and getting thoroughly sprayed. We loved it. We even forgot about the irritatingly loud Jewish wedding music playing the whole time. Seriously, it was motor boat on the Meditteranean Sea, not a Bar Mitzva party. Dinner followed with local fish freshly caught that day and then back to sleep shower, watch tv (the kids) and drink tea (the grown ups) on the balcony overlooking the sea with the harbour lights from Haifa across the bay.

Day two saw us heading into Acre again after a leisurely breakfast. We visited the crusader fortress and the kids did some archaeology where they learned how the ancient ruins of Acre were discovered and unearthed. They did some stone carving and 'went on a dig' discovering their own bits of pottery.

After that we walked through the crusader tunnels. You start off bent double which wasn't so comfortable but I concentrated on not tripping over my shoes. Suddently I heard giggling and saw they were all laughing at me. The ceiling had been a regular height for about 25 metres and I'd not noticed. I was hobbling along with my nose to the ground when there was absolutely no need.


The afternoon was spent back at the pool of course. Two more friends joined us for dinner, each with another child. On the third day the boys wanted to go to an extreme sports park and the girls didn't. The family with the other girl took DD back with them to near Tel Aviv for more days of fun (a pool with a massive slide, a movie, Legoland Tel Aviv and a bike ride) and sleepovers. I took a pleasant ride back to Jerusalem on the train and had two whole days to myself.

DD was delivered home three days later for a grande finale lunch - I bought her favourite caramel cheese cake from Roladin. We were happy to be home together but so pleased that we'd had a lovely summer holiday too.

The Reasons 2B Cheerful linky is with Mich for the last time this summer, over on Mummy from the Heart

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful time both the kids and the parents - good call!
    I usually leave summer up to the kids and parents - we get lots of tourists in town so everything is packed. I haven't even been over to the islands as the ferries are always packed - but I'll make a few trips in the Fall now that things are winding down.
    There is a real feeling of Fall in the air already - it's only 13C out at the moment - 8:15am - but it's to go up to about 22C by the afternoon - a LOT cooler than we've had all Summer but I'm just fine with it as I can' take the extreme heat and humidity anymore.
    I know that DD is off to school tomorrow and our kids start back on Tuesday so lots of preparations being done this weekend. Hope it's a great day for you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margie, all the school books are covered and labeled. I think visiting the islands in autumn sounds wonderful and all the better for the lack of hoards of tourists. xxx

      Delete
  2. Oh this sounds wonderful, so many fun things going on and the lovely weather to accompany it as well. Back to routine now! Enjoy, Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite routine for me until the end of October but yes, at least some more structure to our days. I'm not sure if I'm ready for it or not.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you had a lovely break. I do love finding frugal ways to take time away, I try and get a little family holiday every year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a lovely break. I sort of didn't want to bother as we're going away in September, but it was important that we did it. I' glad we did.

      Delete
  4. Cheesecake, ruins, a boat ride and friends - sounds like a perfect break to me. And I LOVE the post you refer back to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, cheesecake would definitely ruin a boat ride. Lol, I had to read that a couple of times before I acknowledged the commas. It was a good break and also thank you for appreciating the other post about holidays.

      Delete
  5. Sharing with other families can make a difference on being able to afford a break. Its why I holiday coordinate for single with kids so that we get to go places! A summer to remember without breaking the bank x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always said that if we were in the UK I'd join your group for the summer holiday. It's not just the money but also it's so much easier when the kids have friends and so much more fun when the parent does too.

      Delete