Saturday, November 17, 2018

R2BC - Proud Mother

Preparing for Chonchut
Reasons 2B Cheerful for this week are all about DD.

We have a something in Israeli schools called Chonchut (with both ch's being a raspy sound at the back of your throat). The nearest translation I could think of is 'mentoring' as the root of the word is the same as guide and educate.

I first heard of it when DD was in first grade and once a month on a Friday morning, two fourth grade girls would do some fun activities with her and a friend. The whole class was divided into groups of two first graders with two fourth graders. One day we were walking out of school and DD ran over to give a hug to an older girl. When I asked she said, "oh, that's one of my Chonchot (mentors, pl,f) for chonchut (mentoring, n)." I know it sounds like a throat disease if you're not used to it.

The way it works is that the fifth graders are paired with the second graders and the sixth graders are paired with the third graders. Last year in fourth grade, DD was a chonechet (mentor, s,f) for first grade. I remember one Friday when her partner didn't come to school and she had nothing planned. I was very proud that she used her initiative and they chose board games from the class library which the Chanichot (mentorees, pl,f) enjoyed. And one day, as we were leaving school, a little girl ran over to give her quick hug. Her Chanicha (mentoree, s,f) of course. [*wipes a tear at how fast they grow up.]

 
Hanukkah Bingo with prizes
(After play so some pictures are crossed or ticked instead of using counters.)
This week DD had to organise an activity for her second grade chonchot. Her partner had not been in school for a few days so she took it all upon herself. She spent a long time making a Bingo game with Hanukkah symbols. She told me she also needed something active and I shared a Hanukkah game we used to play in my Youth Club when I was a teenager.

It was all a great success.

And on Friday DD came home with the monthly class prize for good work, kindness and patience towards her friends. I didn't know about the prize until I got an email from the teacher tonight saying that she was proud of DD. Apparently DD 'forgot' to mention it.

So from one proud mother, have a good week and if you're looking for more R2BC, the linky is over at Michelle's Mummy from the Heart.


8 comments:

  1. How wonderful! You have every reason to be a very proud Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww congratulations to your DD, and to you for everything you've done and continue to do for her. I'm all for in school mentoring - I used to supervise a library session for younger pupils when I was in secondary school and I really enjoyed the experience x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also used to be a Youth leader and teach in Sunday Hebrew School. I think these experiences are invaluable.

      Delete
  3. How fabulous, you have every right to be a proud mother. I love the sound of the mentoring program too. Mich X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very nice thing as it gives the little kids a connection to the older half of the school even if they don't have older siblings. And it teaches the older kids a lot about responsibility.

      Delete
  4. Very sweet, I am not surprised you are proud. Similar, but our school in Munich used to have reading buddies, where the older children would read with the younger kids, it was so cute to watch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very cute. A lot of our culture originated in Germany for obvious reasons. Many of our folk songs in Hebrew are recognised by Germans as we kept the tunes and changed the words. Also the big emphasis on youth movements.

      Delete