Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Typical Tuesday - Not

First I caught some thieves, then I had breakfast, then I went to work.

Following on from yesterdays story about the alleged theft of paving stones from DD's new kindergarten opposite, would you believe that I woke up this morning and saw this from my balcony?


However, this car seemed to have a flat tyre (back right). No worries, it wasn't long before the old blue hatch-back turned up. You'll remember him from yesterday. At this point somebody (I'm not saying who) called the police. The guys were just emptying the blue car in order to transfer the booty when the police arrived and caught them red handed.


It was now getting late and I had to go and get dressed. By the time I came back they had all disappeared. I'll probably never know the outcome but at least there is an official record of this now. The truth is that I found it mildly amusing the first day when they managed to drive off with one carload of paving stones in broad daylight. However, when they came back for more that was just too much chutzpa.

About the name calling... I may have complicated things.

I was very relieved when DD didn't mention the 'different names' again today. Then, just as I was putting her to bed she told me, "X and Y keep calling me Samuel (pronounced Sam-u-el). This sounds a bit odd as Samuel in Hebrew is Shmuel not Sam-u-el. It's also not very offensive imo. But DD doesn't like it. "Why do they call me Sam-u-el?" she asked pitifully. "I don't know, how funny!" I answered, trying to make it funny. "Don't those two silly sausages know that your name is DD?" Woops.

See voodoo sausages recipe and spells here
For 20 minutes until she fell asleep I could hear her giggling to herself and saying, "they're two silly sausages!" And (this is where I may have complicated things)... "Don't call me Sam-u-el you two silly sausages! You're two silly sausages!"

Should I mention it to the teacher tomorrow or let DD fight her own battles?

Or we could try making the old voodoo sausages. :~P



11 comments:

  1. No doubt in my mind, talk to the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, thanks Ester. I'll have to confess that DD might start calling the boys 'silly sausages' because that's what I called them (in the nicest possible way of course).

      Delete
    2. perhaps. she seemed to be doing self-talk as she fell asleep, maybe trying out how it feels to say it.
      Who knows if she will though, and what will happen if she does... in any case, the teacher NEEDS to know about this, and should really be involved in resolving it...
      Good luck!

      Delete
  2. The two silly sausages thing is great. With a bit of luck it will catch on throughout the children...or is that mean?! It's quite a harmless but smart way of tackling someone calling DD a name she doesn't want though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they wouldn't know what a silly sausage was but I've since realized that at least one of the boys is an English speaker. At least she went to sleep happy tonight.

      Delete
  3. Had a little giggle myself, imagining her laughing about the silly sausages! Surely no one would take offense to such an innocuous phrase though? Or do you think it might it get lost in translation?? Can't believe those cheeky so-and-so's with the paving stones!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent more than a few minutes last night figuring out how to translate it for the teacher without sounding ridiculous.

      Delete
  4. I use the phrase silly sausage - I once had to translate it for a ganenet - it loses something in translation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my reply to Jax above. I think I'll say naknik matschik bimkom shovav.

      Delete
  5. I believe in letting them fight their own battles unless the problem seems really damaging. They have to learn the difference between teasing and bullying and how to deal with each. Am very impressed with your detective skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I told the teacher int eh end and she spoke to all the children about calling names. DD came home all smiles, telling me that she's not Sam-u-el anymore but there's a bottle called Sam-u-el.

      Delete